Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some advice for my first splitboard please
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:04 am 

Hi! I'm new to this forum and to splitboard. I'm planning to buy my first split but after reading some posts here and some internet reviews I'm far away from a final decision. Maybe if I talk about where I snowboard and give some info you coud give me some advice.
I live near spanish pyrines and I'm stick there all winter, we usually have mixed conditions with a lot of ice.
I weight 76 kg and now I'm riding a 155 burton hero rocker wich is great for me in pow and deep snow, nice on piste and crapy on ice, I sometimes ride my old salomon prospect 152 wich is great on ice but too short for any other condition.
I had read a review of Prior AMF and I't looks really interesting to me but dont see anything about how it respond on ice, and this is really important to me.
I had take a look at Jones and the magnetraction edges really catch my eyes but is way tooo expensive here in spain (1100 euros only deck) and cannot find for import (only us shipping on rei shop). Is almost sure that I will import my gear because here is so expensive.
About other options I have not seen any indeep review that convinces me but I'm open to any option.
So I'm looking for something that feels like my burton hero but sticks on ice like the salomon, and that climbs enough well to handle 2 or 3 days long tours without broke my legs. As for size I had been thinking about a 161,163 board based on user opinions, but of course I'm open to any suggestion.
For bindings if I dont find a big deal I will use my cartel until I refill my wallet and go for spark.
Sorry for the long post, my bad englishvbbb and thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Some advice for my first splitboard please
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:36 am 

I rate magantraction, helps alot on our some times shitty conditions in NZ. If you can find a board with it i would go with that. Size seems about right, and upgrade to sparks makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 am 

thanks for your advice, the only problem with the jones is that costs 1100 euro without hardware, for a bit more I can import a prior with sparks and all the hardware, but i witt try to find the jones cheaper here in europe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 am 

Their is libtech and gnu also with mag, but they will also be $$$. Prior are nice boards too, Would be best saving some money getting the prior and sparks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 am 

If you want to get a cheap complete setup in Europe, I would recommend to buy the Burton Freebird. For 800 Eur yout get the board including the whole voile hardware and skins. In some shops this package is even reduced currently 20%, so you get all for 640 Eur. I think you find no better deal and it's not a bad setup at all.

If money is no real issue, I would also go for a Jones or NS with Sparks or Karakoram...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:50 am 

I had found a dealer where I can pick up the jones boards with hardware kit, they have the solution and the twin for 859 and 816 euros, not sure but I think the skins are not included. I will look for the burton but I havent seen any review about it.
The fact that jones boards come with magnetraction are making me lean that way. Lib tech solids are really expensive here, I will research for splits but price can be prohibitibe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:31 am 

here's a review of the burton freebird: http://www.whereiskylemiller.com/?p=1711 (by the way crampons are also included in the price of 800 respectively 640 Eur)

I really cannot imagine that you get the jones boards for around 800 Eur including the whole voile hardware, probably only with hooks and clips. so you would have to spend around another 150,- for skins, 80,- for crampons, ca. 100,- for voile splitboard interface...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:24 am 

Hi, the same dealer sales Burton freebird with crampons and skins for 672€, the price of the Jones are with voile kit without skins nor crampons. I have nothing againts Burton but read so bad opinions about this splitt makes me doubt. Its Jones worth the price diference? I have seen a demo prior AMF 162 with voile kit and skins for 700€ shipping counted.
So
Jones solution 859(with voile full kit)
Jones M Twin 816(with voile full kit)
Burton Freebird 672 (with voile full kit,burton skins and crampons)
Demo Prior AMF 700 (with voile full kit, skins and shipping)

All new except for the AMF used as demo board.
I'm listening your opinions! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 pm 

Wow, really good board selection and prices for Europe! Are these official prices of this dealer or do you get a special discount? I would be very happy if you could tell me which dealer it is...Or are these prices for importing from the US? Then don't forget to take shipping and especially custom duties and taxes into account.

I think all of these boards would be a good choice. Personally I would probably take the Prior if it's still in as new condition.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:15 pm 

Hey flex, all boards are picked up from the dealer except for the prior but i can ask to be send to Andorra, there are no duty charges. I dont know if I can post the dealer name in the forum but i will send you in private if you are interested

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 am 

I used a freight forwarder for importing Jones Solution from rei.com to europe, in transit now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 pm 

whattehhell Can you explin me about freight forwarder please?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:51 pm 

I used JetCarrier, but I believe they only ship to Scandinavia. They act as a middle man, I get an american address, use that as the shipping address when ordering.
Then they receive the package, and sends it to me in Norway.