Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 Burton S Series Purchase
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm 

I just found a brand new 168 online for $485 with free shipping. I have a 30 day return window, so I purchased it right away. I split my own board 2 seasons ago and it's seen it's last days so I need something.

I have now read that there are problems with the tip/tail clips coming undone, and that the board is really soft.

I don't really have $800 dollars to spend on a Venture or a Jones this season (Which would be my preference) but my question is: Is the S Series really that bad???? Like bad enough that I should return it and find another board to split myself?? I own a Malolo and its one of my favorite boards.

I would really like to hear from people who have ridden or owned an S-Series.

Thanks, Tom

PS: I mainly ride Powder in the Northeast.. so I don't need a fatty pow stick

Post subject: Re: 2010 Burton S Series Purchase
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:15 pm 

I've rode the S-Series for the last three years now and have had a lot of fun on it. The board is a little on the soft side and the tip/tail clips were always coming apart on mine. I called burton and told them that I had one of their pre-voile interface boards and needed to replace the tip/tail clips and they sent me some of theirs which are a lot beefier and stay connected much better. The board rode great in powder and corn, but was a little sketchy on really firm snow. I will add that I haven't rode any other type of splitboard so I don't have anything to compare it to. It definitely doesn't perform anything like the solid boards I ride on firm snow, but anything in good conditions can work. Burton's new Freebird looks pretty sweet as well.

I just picked up a Storm at Mountain Gear for $699 which seemed like a good deal :rock:
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Venture+Snowboards/idesc/Storm+Rocker+Splitboard+Snowboard/Store/MG/item/223527/N/1178%204294966943

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:22 pm 

I lost half of my Khyber last spring so I grudgingly dug out my less-favored circa 2005 Burton S-series 162cm backup this season, and had a rekindled appreciation for it. Not sure why the tail/tip clips would be more prone to detach on an S Series, hasn't happened to me, mine has clips that look just like the Voile clips, not the beefier Burton ones. Doesn't seem overly soft but I'm a smallish guy. No factory defects after several dozen days of use over the years. I actually think it's a decent split if you're in the northeast and don't need tons of float. Poconos/Huntah represent!

HOWEVER if it's an S Series with the old Burton split interface from the late 90's then I would avoid that - I would strongly suggest a board with the Voile or Karakorum systems instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:37 pm 

buckchow wrote:
I lost half of my Khyber last spring so I grudgingly dug out my less-favored circa 2005 Burton S-series 162cm backup this season, and had a rekindled appreciation for it. Not sure why the tail/tip clips would be more prone to detach on an S Series, hasn't happened to me, mine has clips that look just like the Voile clips, not the beefier Burton ones. Doesn't seem overly soft but I'm a smallish guy. No factory defects after several dozen days of use over the years. I actually think it's a decent split if you're in the northeast and don't need tons of float. Poconos/Huntah represent!

HOWEVER if it's an S Series with the old Burton split interface from the late 90's then I would avoid that - I would strongly suggest a board with the Voile or Karakorum systems instead.

It's a 2010 S Series.. Drilled for the Voile Inteface . I have Spark Bindings that I will be moving over from my last split.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 am 

You'll be fine. I ride a 2009 S-Series 162 in New England. The tip and tail clips do come undone when you are are harder bumpier snow. I took some strong thin rope and attached it to the clip and hooked it around the post. This keeps the clips connected perfectly. I'll try and post pictures at some point this week.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/checkyourpins
Instagram: http://instagram.com/checkyourpins
Facebook: http://facebook.com/checkyourpins

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 pm 

Hey bud. I too have a 2008 166 Malolo and think is is the best board I have owned the 16 years I've been riding. Unreal for powder and just about everything else. I also bought a Burton 168 S Series from two years ago and use it all the time. I have had no problems with the clips coming undone on the tip or tail, but I make sure they are clipped before I take off. The board is a little on the soft side, but it's meant to ride in powder and does that great. I have ridden all kinds of snow and think that it has a great ride. I have never ridden another splitboard because I am in love with the one I have. I've got some C60's mounted to the Voile kit and it is super stiff and about as light as you can get. I would say keep the board and see how you like. I am about 6'1" and about 190 lbs so you know how to compare.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:07 am 

I've had some Burton splits. the 65 with the old burton hardware and a 68 with the voile setup. i liked them alot when they were fresh, but it wasn't long before they were real noodley on hard snow, they still seemed great in powder. I had problems with the tip and tail clips too, and someone told me it was because of the way the inside edges of the board are curved away from each other and don't touch where the clips are. I redrilled and put new clips past where the edges come together and that did the trick. Where did you find that board on the internet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:52 am 

rightsider wrote:
... I took some strong thin rope and attached it to the clip and hooked it around the post. This keeps the clips connected perfectly. I'll try and post pictures at some point this week.

Hi!
I have the same problem and tried fixing it with wire which is a pain in cold conditions. Could you please tell more about your rope approach? Any other suggestions how to fix this annoying problem?
Bernie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:53 pm 

I just put up a quick tutorial in the DIY forum for securing tip/tail clips with rope.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10065

Twitter: http://twitter.com/checkyourpins
Instagram: http://instagram.com/checkyourpins
Facebook: http://facebook.com/checkyourpins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:06 am 

Thank you! That looks really very practical! I'll have to fix that! :)
Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 am 

A little late to the party here but... there's pow in the northeast?? :)

But seriously. I've ridden Burton splits since 2003. Personally I think they ride great, and they just work for me. I've preferred them over every other production split I've tried, except maybe the Jones that I just got this season. They are a little on the soft side, but I actually don't mind that (while that's a dealbreaker for many folks). For pow, this board is great. I will say though that I like the 162, but not the 168. I found it to just be too wide, and slow edge to edge. So depending on how big you are, that might be an issue.

The tip clips coming undone is a real issue however. I've made 2 modifications to every Burton I've owned (talking about the ones with the Voile setup), and that is to move the split hooks out away from the bindings, and move the tip clips down a bit. The problem is that as-is, the tip clips are over the part of the tips that are rounded off, and therefore there's no material behind about half of the tip clips, which makes them move around a lot as the board halves flex, and they pop open easily. The problem with the split hooks is that they are mounted rather close to the bindings (much closer than other manufacturers), where they don't do much to keep the board halves from flexing independently. If they are placed closer to the contact points of the board, the response of the tip and tail actually becomes a bit stiffer since the board halves don't have as long of an expanse between the tip clip and the split hook (that long expanse lets them move independently more easily). This also makes the tip clip less prone to moving. You can actually see this by taking a video doing some "carpet-butters" - point a camera at the nose of your board, strap in, and get up on the nose and lean back and forth. You'll see what I mean about the board halves flexing independently. Take a similar video after making these mods and compare... there will be less independent movement.

And this will also give you the opportunity to line up the split hooks better than Burton typically does... in every production Burton I've seen, the hooks don't line up very well, and there's usually a gap in the halves until you put the bindings on.

The cord idea for securing the clip is a good stopgap measure and has been brought up before... but it won't work for this board if it's a 2010 model, because they stopped putting in that extra post on those boards (which I thought was a useless idea anyway, I guess it was for securing the tip clip out of the way when in ski mode, but it's totally unnecessary).

Below are some pics of the mods I mentioned (on this particular board I think the split hooks should have been moved out about twice as far as they actually were).

P.S. You guys really seem to dig the Malolo... I have a homemade split Malolo 162 that I could possibly be talked into selling: