Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Whats the lightest weight commercially available splitboard?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:47 am 

strange how the very mention of sentury can devolve a comparison of snowboard weights into a tgr-style flame war of people using aliases to sling mud and personal insults.

as one often known to throw a beer or a dew into the old touring pack, i'm not quite qualified to give a rat's ass about shaving weight off my gear, so i don't have much to contribute to the intended content of this thread, but since i was mentioned i'll at least clarify my story.

it's true that sentury built me a board for my NZ trip, and that it cracked while ben was away at his sister's wedding. but when i did get ahold of him, he made quite an effort to set things right, packing up a replacement and shipping it to me across the world. i wish the whole thing could have been resolved faster, but i realize that dealing with a small snowsport company in the dead of summer may involve some delay, and i appreciate the effort that they took to set things straight.

i just finished putting the replacement board (made with material from a different supplier) through a few weeks of hell on the glaciers of mt cook and mt aspiring, and it shows no sign of damage other than that which my own riding incurred.

i do think that sentury would do well to hire someone to answer emails and phone calls promptly, but i'm not going to take their engineering and manufacturing to task over that fact. and in the mean time, based on my experience with this new board, i still recommend their products to my friends.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 am 

Quote:
i still recommend their products to my friends.

That's good to hear. I hope someone is talking to them about bringing splits to the Strawberry Fest? I'd love to ride one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 am 

There will be Sentury demo boards available at the Echo Split Party for those who are interested in trying them out. As a matter of fact...There has been discussion about bringing a custom graphic "Echo Split Party" board for the raffle. More details to come...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:06 pm 

Sentury? (Hit me up) We have a special email we are sending out to sponsers, with different options for sponsering the event. If anyone is interested in sponsering the event please email me at aksltxlt@gmail.com Thanks Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:47 am 

I may need to try and make it down for that party!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:35 pm 

sir_splits_a_lot wrote:
Great, another fanboy. Has anyone owned a Sentury split for more than one season? What ever happen with that new custom board that fell a part in NZ? Dude got no response till he dogged them online. You wouldn't love them so much if you didn't know them. Everything I've seen and heard, except for fanboy here, is that Sentry makes shitty boards that fall apart and they don't stand by there shit.

Your right though, there a couple oz lighter than most, have at it!

Hello sir_splits_a_lot,
Not sure where you are hearing such rumors? In fact our reputation is stellar and we have very few warranties and the few we have, we honor. Most of our business is word of mouth and we have been growing over 200% every season for 4 years straight. There is a free demo program as well. You will not see much of us on this site because we are extremely busy and our market is primarily solid boards. Last season alone our boards were in the olympics, won a dew tour stop and awarded an xgames medal. Not to mention at ispo we were awarded the "Brand new award" (largest winter trade show in the world) for our "flite" core technology (5 lb board) which by the way, the proven board at the events above (ridden by chas Guldemond).
We typically stay out of these comments but since our forte is engineering light/strong boards we just had to chime in. Our splits are the lightest, and you might want to know why? Primarily because of the choice lumber our lumber mills pick out for us, by the way which are in the United States (like all our materials) and FSC certified for all you green nuts! If you have any questions feel free to email directly: info@senturysnowboards.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:06 pm 

Thx for posting Sentury.

Can you post actual weights, maybe of a 164 board with clips and hooks?

and, I hope sir splits is not an alias, just an ass.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:56 am 

Yes, that was a very refreshing post Sentury!

As with any small local company, there will always be bumps and little-dicked haters along the way. Interesting how the internet gives these insecure haters permission to post their BS. Keep your head up guys. Most of us out there are vested in seeing Sentury be successful. This industry needs you...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:36 pm 

Board weight. I tend to choose the board that works best, and try to save weight elsewhere (boots, bindings, clothes, packs, tents, etc). A strictly powder oriented board can be made very lightweight, and be strong enough. But a board meant to remain damp and stable in variable conditions needs to be a little heavier. Core density, beefy sidewall construction, edge thickness, and core thickness (a stiffer, beefier, board will have a thicker core) all add up to more weight, but these things also make for a board which is damp and stable, with a quiet, reliable, damp edge on the snow.
Some things that could save weight while maintaining a damp, stable ride: increased use of carbon fiber (naturally damp, and about half the weight of glass fiber), using a narrow steel edge for the inside edge of splits, very precise layup procedures which allow more favorable resin/fiber ratios, and careful use of different varieties of core wood-but maintaining dense wood at the edges. One must be careful is designing for light weight, as maintaining a damp stable ride is tricky.
I am a bonafide weight weenie, but I choose Venture, because the boards are solid and damp. I save a lot of weight with boot and binding setups, and in the rest of my gear. Even resorting to titanium bolts for board and bindings.
One other note; I would not trust any published weights, these are notoriously inaccurate; only trust weights published by users, or measured by yourself.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/