Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jones Hovercraft Review!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:00 pm 

FLOWTORCH wrote:
I've only ridden this board a little bit recently...but I gotta say it seriously rips and is seriously fun!

My sentiments exactly!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 pm 

I have about 20 pow days on this board now, and can say it is really amazing. We've had a great winter, and I basically only ride powder, and this has become my every day board, with no regrets. For the previous couple years I always rode a Salomon Burner 162 (which i still have), which is their big mountain board--very stiff, fast, and stable. The Hovercraft turns much easier, is obviously more surfy, never requires any thought or effort to avoid digging the nose, and is extremely easy and effortless to ride. I can ride multiple full days in a row, and never have the slightest muscle soreness in my legs. For trees, gullys, chutes, and general mixed/creative type powder riding, this board is perfect and that's why I now ride it every day.

Where a more traditional big mountain board would be better is (somewhat obviously) in long, steep, open alpine lines where you are really charging through a number of turns. The hovercraft is fine for this terrain, but won't be quite as fast, stable or aggressive. On the Burner I would get more explosive turns, wider radius turns, and more of a charging fall line feel. But for me, to have perfect pow on these kinds of lines is somewhat rare, because they always get skied first. For everything else the Hovercraft is better, and I do way more mixed/tight/woods riding than big alpine lines inbounds (if someone knows where I can ride fresh pow on huge in bounds alpine lines 4-6 days a week let me know...). For dedicated pow riders, I actually view the Hovercraft as the everyday go to board, with a big mountain board just to be brought out for the perfect days when you can get a lot of alpine riding, and even then it's kind of optional based on style. Of course, it also depends on the terrain your mountain has.

I have been impressed also that the Hovercraft has so few downsides. It rides hard pack and bumps just fine and has great edge hold. It's not a soft board really, it just has a very user friendly shape. I remember some reviews saying it's hard to turn edge to edge on hardpack because of the width, but I totally disagree. I have size 9 boots and can edge it easily without thinking--at least as easy as the Burner. Of course if you're used to a really narrow freestyle board maybe it's a bit different. Also, I only weigh 135lbs, so both of these boards are somewhat big for me and I probably can't judge the float that well.

A nice bonus of the Hovercraft is that the really short tail makes it super easy to pivot turn out of places when you get stuck over a cliff, next to a tree, in a snow drift or wherever. You can just pivot and ride out somewhere else, which I can't do with a normal tail easily. This saves a ton of time each day. The short tail also makes dropping really steep sections feel comfortable because you can stay back easily. And you will basically never dig the nose on this thing, which allows you to ride much more freely and aggressively.

Anyways, I have no affiliation with the company but just wanted to share my experience since I've had so many great days on this board now, and have come to use it way more than I expected. Also, at least 5 people ask me about the board every day on the mountain, so I figured there is some interest out there. I've seen a handful of other Jones boards at my mountain, but no other Hovercrafts, which I think is kind of surprising because it's such a versatile board for pow riding.

I've never ridden any other fish style boards or any swallow tails, so I can't compare to those.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 am 

Excellent review!

I've been getting more chances to get on the Hovey, and all I can really say is that I'm turning into a permanant convert! This board does everything so incredibly well, its amazing. I mean, it holds an edge on long radius turns because of its huge sidecut radius and possibly also because of Magnetrack. Anyway, I feel that this board is only kinda sketchy during full speed turns in wide open wind-buffeted pow. In those conditions I can sometimes lock up too soon and tomahawk. Oh, and for ovious reasons it doesn't land switch in pow too well... But that's another topic.

At any rate, I have found the Hovercraft to really, as Jeremy puts it, be a bit of a game changer. There are low angle spots where there is an inche of dust on crust, and somehow the Hovercraft makes those spots rippable. And you can rip them on a dime during full speed edge to edge transitions where you need to change your mind super fast. I can turn that board SOOOO FAST. Again, its amazing...

Cheers on keeping this thread going

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 pm 

got my hovercraft this week... coming off a 163 abacus for pow days and a 166 burner for the rest,.... so stoked to get this board, now we just need some fresh in the sierras so i can crack it out... good reading here... cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:20 pm 

ozsplit wrote:
got my hovercraft this week... coming off a 163 abacus for pow days and a 166 burner for the rest,.... so stoked to get this board, now we just need some fresh in the sierras so i can crack it out... good reading here... cheers

Try ridign it in non-pow conditions, and then come write a review of its performance on ice ;)

You may be surprised!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 pm 

i ll be back up at sugarbowl on tues russman so maybe i ll just give it a run or three at the end of the day..

cheers

oz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:37 am 

zero wrote:
I have about 20 pow days on this board now, and can say it is really amazing. We've had a great winter, and I basically only ride powder, and this has become my every day board, with no regrets. For the previous couple years I always rode a Salomon Burner 162 (which i still have), which is their big mountain board--very stiff, fast, and stable. The Hovercraft turns much easier, is obviously more surfy, never requires any thought or effort to avoid digging the nose, and is extremely easy and effortless to ride. I can ride multiple full days in a row, and never have the slightest muscle soreness in my legs. For trees, gullys, chutes, and general mixed/creative type powder riding, this board is perfect and that's why I now ride it every day.

Where a more traditional big mountain board would be better is (somewhat obviously) in long, steep, open alpine lines where you are really charging through a number of turns. The hovercraft is fine for this terrain, but won't be quite as fast, stable or aggressive. On the Burner I would get more explosive turns, wider radius turns, and more of a charging fall line feel. But for me, to have perfect pow on these kinds of lines is somewhat rare, because they always get skied first. For everything else the Hovercraft is better, and I do way more mixed/tight/woods riding than big alpine lines inbounds (if someone knows where I can ride fresh pow on huge in bounds alpine lines 4-6 days a week let me know...). For dedicated pow riders, I actually view the Hovercraft as the everyday go to board, with a big mountain board just to be brought out for the perfect days when you can get a lot of alpine riding, and even then it's kind of optional based on style. Of course, it also depends on the terrain your mountain has.

I have been impressed also that the Hovercraft has so few downsides. It rides hard pack and bumps just fine and has great edge hold. It's not a soft board really, it just has a very user friendly shape. I remember some reviews saying it's hard to turn edge to edge on hardpack because of the width, but I totally disagree. I have size 9 boots and can edge it easily without thinking--at least as easy as the Burner. Of course if you're used to a really narrow freestyle board maybe it's a bit different. Also, I only weigh 135lbs, so both of these boards are somewhat big for me and I probably can't judge the float that well.

A nice bonus of the Hovercraft is that the really short tail makes it super easy to pivot turn out of places when you get stuck over a cliff, next to a tree, in a snow drift or wherever. You can just pivot and ride out somewhere else, which I can't do with a normal tail easily. This saves a ton of time each day. The short tail also makes dropping really steep sections feel comfortable because you can stay back easily. And you will basically never dig the nose on this thing, which allows you to ride much more freely and aggressively.

Anyways, I have no affiliation with the company but just wanted to share my experience since I've had so many great days on this board now, and have come to use it way more than I expected. Also, at least 5 people ask me about the board every day on the mountain, so I figured there is some interest out there. I've seen a handful of other Jones boards at my mountain, but no other Hovercrafts, which I think is kind of surprising because it's such a versatile board for pow riding.

I've never ridden any other fish style boards or any swallow tails, so I can't compare to those.

x2. 100%. Thanks for a good review, I'm too lazy to go in depth.

I've also had about 20 days on the board, lots of pow days. Its the funnest board i've ever ridden, a game changer indeed. I've ridden swallow tails and now think they suck compared to this stick. I feel invincible on this thing. I'm 6ft, 210 and the little 156 has no problem hovering me through powder. The tail is the most nimble, agile, sick son of a bitch. Literally, ok figuratively, turns on a dime. Such a stellar board for trees. Like you said, that tail also saves a TON of energy!! I had legs to keep going and going at silverton last week while everyone else was worked...same deal any where or any day. I've been trying to get my cousin whose now 41 and an old school ripper on one of these. Someone like him could totally benefit from a board like this. Tail also makes it super easy to slash or keep speed in GFP(gay flat powder) which is nice for Colorado. And if you suck and couldnt ride pow before this board will turn you into a hero. Its impossible to go over the bars on it. Like you said its great on drops too because of the setback stance.

I just cant be stoked enough to pull this bad boy out on good days. The only downside to it(besides the whole switch thing) is that your friends have to listen to you spray about how sick this board is..and how they cant find one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:04 am 

Hovercraft Split for next year and a Hovercraft in a 160.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:55 pm 

sickpow wrote:
Hovercraft Split for next year and a Hovercraft in a 160.

Hovercraft 160 split = HOLY MOLY SICKNESS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 pm 

this board is a dream machine. its truly in its element in bottomless powder. no extra effort to keep the nose up. you get some serious face shots and can really lay into your turns. its true that this board floats on top of the snow. not a huge fan with this on groomers. i hold back. this board wants to turn and although does suprisingly well switch and holding an edge its not an everyday resort board. but if you are planning on hiking and finding real snow then this should be your go to. its surface area is huge. tail is stiff. it does suprisingly well off rocks, cliffs, jumps. trees have never been easier as you can turn on the dime and its easy to get going again after a fall or stall out, tree well, etc.. this board is a ton of fun and once you take it into some bottomless you will realize how truly awesome it is. i personally have my bindings geared towards the front to add some more stability for landing airs. if you put them back its about as close to surfing as anything.. lots of fun all around.. does well in chop and in a variety of snow conditions but again this thing wants to be in the steep and deep thats its true element. guarantee on a good day in jackson hole i am enjoying the best turns out of anyone. peace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:19 pm 

I haven't ridden this board yet, but I am liking the design a lot. The 56 seems too short though. I know it has a ton of float, but it reminds me too much of the original Burton Fish design. Lightning quick and accelerating quickly. But also it was squirrely at speed and god forbid you needed to ride it on hardpack. That was largely because of the nose and excessive taper, but I also hated dropping things on a board that short and far set back. It just "felt" too short. When the 60 was intro'd it was a world better. Then the Malolo 62 made it even better with less taper than the fish. The Hover seems to address the taper and edge hold, but I can't help to think the 56 will "feel" short. But a 60 next year with similar nose rocker might be right up my alley.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 pm 

if we ever get some fresh in the sierra again i l crack my hovercraft out... shes a virgin and i m amped to ride it... i m pretty sure i ll get a few days on it this season then sell it to pick up a 160 next year.. good to read the thread here, enjoy the ride lads

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:50 am 

60 Fish LTD. I just don't know if the Hovercraft can hang. Carbon reacts much, much more quickly than wood. I long for Hovercraft still though. And at $400 its really hard to not buy one to split.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next