Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jones Hovercraft Review!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:10 pm 

Hey out there...
First time posting but I had to add to the stoke about the Jones Hovercraft. I am having so much fun on this board. I have a Prior Khyber split 160, and a Prior solid AMF 159 both with rocker. I really like both of these boards but I love my Hovercraft and it is the board I grab most often now for sure. I am now thinking about getting the split version of it next year.

Here is a short edit I put together of me on the Hovercraft, enjoy. And if you get a chance to try this board do it!

http://www.vimeo.com/19800929

Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm 

Awesome, thanks Dylan!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am 

Awesome vid! I think I've got a Hovercraft solid and split in my future next year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 am 

hello,
i've ride my first powder board this winter in niseko.
Is a Japan brand
http://www.a-boardcorporation.com/board.html
i've ride 3dx-1, 6cm of setback, fish profile, 3d nose (something like TBT but only under the nose) and obliviously powder rocker.
I've understand that i must have a specific deep powder board:D

My questions on jones hovercraft are:
has a really fast base?
is a light board (mhmm maybe some comparision with some other board? have someone a volkl selecta and can compare with this?)?
between trees is reactive on direction change or the "big" waist is a limit?

Thank's to everyone answer me:D

Giorgio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 am 

tiltedworld wrote:
I haven't ridden this board yet, but I am liking the design a lot. The 56 seems too short though. I know it has a ton of float, but it reminds me too much of the original Burton Fish design. Lightning quick and accelerating quickly. But also it was squirrely at speed and god forbid you needed to ride it on hardpack. That was largely because of the nose and excessive taper, but I also hated dropping things on a board that short and far set back. It just "felt" too short. When the 60 was intro'd it was a world better. Then the Malolo 62 made it even better with less taper than the fish. The Hover seems to address the taper and edge hold, but I can't help to think the 56 will "feel" short. But a 60 next year with similar nose rocker might be right up my alley.

Pre-ordered the 60 after seeing the overall dimensions are very minimally different. The board is super wide to begin with and the 60 is only 4mm wider for 4cm in length. I know I'll feel much more comfortable on the 60 than the 56.

Now I have something to look forward to in early Sept as I play with setting up my wife's Rx/Blaze combo that came this week. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:50 pm 

Can I have your Winterstick then? I think you may need to check into EBA (equipment buyers anonymous)...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:30 pm 

LOL, no... C'mmon, I'm getting along famously now with my Winterstick. I'm not in love with it yet, but she's becoming more like the girl next door that just got rid of her coke bottle glasses and night guard braces. It's just taking some time to become the new hottie :drool: It's the K bindings I have no love for b/c of the adjustment issue.

The Hover is going to be my new pow solid, not a split, and is replacing a 6yo Malolo, which I'm selling cheap, still has a lot of days in it...

As for EB anonymous...well maybe...I just go in 4-5 year spurts of equipment rotation and this next season is a big one, replacing both solids (one becoming a DIY split for when I travel east) and a split for my wife. We both need boots and gloves too. Can't forget some sort of binding change for the WS too, :lol:

Last year I sold my slowshoes and short skis to help fund the split addition, seems like a fair trade. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:19 pm 

I had a lot of fun riding a solid hovercraft for a few days last season. I was thinking it will make a great splitboard, and I was planning to pick one up. The other day I saw the catalog sneak-peak, and found out about the flip/flop manufacturing process:

http://blog.jonessnowboards.com/2011/07/201112-jones-catalog-teaser-part-one/
Quote:
Jones Snowboards use Flip-Flop base colors to cut down on material waste – the scraps from one base color are used to make the base color of another. Because of the complexity of the Flip Flop base production process, dealers will receive a random assortment of base colors for each model and size. We cannot guarantee every dealer will receive every base color nor can we accept orders for specific base colors. If you pre-order a board you’ll just have to rejoice in the surprise when it arrives!

That's great and all, but, as I understand it, some of the bases are mostly white. What if, on the very small chance, someone ends up upside down attached to the board needing help, while the white base blends in with the snow? Visibility is important. (sorry for the dull post / consumerist thrunt, but I wasn't sure where else to bring this up).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:42 pm 

Anyone else notice the on the Jones website they only list the Hovercraft as a 156????

Is the 160 still an option??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:59 pm 

dmwdenver wrote:
Anyone else notice the on the Jones website they only list the Hovercraft as a 156????

Is the 160 still an option??

That is last years model. The website has not been updated yet. Check out the blog for the 2012 models

http://blog.jonessnowboards.com/2011/07 ... -part-one/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm 

Split only comes in a 156 though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi all! New to the forum and a question.. Has anyone experience of making DIY split out of last season Hovercraft? I've been thinking of starting my splitboarding with that, if you have advice or experiences to share of splitting Hovercraft, I appreciate a lot.

Anyways, to the topic, The Hovercraft has been great board to ride!