Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rossignol The Experience first impressions (solid board)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 pm 

*BCRider, please feel free to move this post if there is a better spot for it!*

Got my new ride for the season, a Rossignol 2010 "The Experience", and put it through it's paces at work today. For reference, my other boards are an '09 Flow Solitude 161, '05 Arbor Element 158, and '07 Voile SD Freeride.

Background:
163cm, early rise tip, traditional camber, magnetraction, no taper. This was JJ's signature board until he left Rossi back in the fall. Awesome minimalist graphics.

Thoughts:
This board is softer than my Flow or Arbor. Strangely, it likes to go faster than either on hardpack groomers(the length?) It also turns in tight trees really well, probably due to the softness. Fun in the (small) powder stashes. Given the magnetraction, I thought it might grip icy hardpack really well, but it's about the same as my other boards... probably a trade off with the stiffness though. I dig the sharp nose and tail, which I think will cut a wind crust effectively.

I will try to get out on it early next week on some steeper gnarlier stuff and see if it still impresses. So far, very happy.

Bottom Line:
Possible good starting point for someone looking to split their own deck, and interested in a board similar to the prior spearhead.

HTH,
Shep

Post subject: Re: Rossignol The Experience first impressions (solid board)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am 

I purchased the Rossignol 168 MW Experience with Magnetraction in December and have a couple days on it as well. While my normal board is usually a tanker 200, I must say that the Experience is a good board and I am very surprised how well the magnetraction actually works on icy conditions. My only complaints are that the board is a bit too short for my liking and the nose is a little soft for my 215 lbs. The rockered nose combined with camber between the bindings is a nice combination and works very well in the groomed and chopped conditions and riding powder is fun on this board as it turns very easy. I would recommend this board to anyone looking for a good all mountain freeride/freecarve board, but if you intend to use plates on it, go with the regular width and not the MW unless you have size 28 or larger feet and run lower angles. I think that it would make a great split as well.

cheers,
sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:09 pm 

Shep,

I bought the 164MW and am very happy with the performance. The Magnetraction has been a bigger sell in our current powder deprived snowpack here in the PNW. It traverses extremely nicely and holds an edge on ice. Anxiously awaitng a big powder day. I actually found the board to be much stiffer than my Arbor Element. I also have been pretty happy with how it handles switch riding - I was a little bit worried with the directional shap and pointy nose/flat tail.

Cheers,
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 am 

Upon further reflection, yeah, it's not a noodle... I think I was led astray by the long nose. :) It has a nice resonant "thwock" from the nose vibrating when it hits the ground that other boards I've ridden didn't have. It's also my longest board, so it'll naturally feel a little softer in it's flex (more leverage). We're still awaiting a real powder day this season, but it's snowing outside my window right now, so maybe we'll get one soon. :)

Thanks,
Shep