Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior AMF 165 splitboard
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 am 

Prior AMF 165 splitboard

I purchased my Prior AMF 165 splitboard through REI back in October. I used the board approximately 15 times during this winter.
I'm 210 lbs. and 6'-2" tall, snowboarding for 14 years, 4 years in the backcountry and this was my first splitboard.

The AMF was an amazing board to ride; the board handles all conditions without any complaint. I rode everything with it: windblown, ice, groomers and powder on this board and it felt like nothing else I have ever ridden. I am assuming it was the hybrid rocker technology. For a 165, this board was incredibly nimble, it initiated turns with hardly any toe/heel pressure and it acted as an awesome extension of my body.

The board was actually less flexible then I initially assumed it should be, as it is marketed as more or less, a freestyle board. I am by no means a freestyle junkie, so I can only assume that this board would not satisfy the park rats, as it’s a pretty stiff plank and I actually appreciated this fact. Although the board is less stiff then my resort board it was still stiff enough to be comfortable even at high speeds.

The board handles great in the trees and anywhere tight turns are necessary. It is a short turning board-a far cry from my preferred wide open GS turns. Even so, I still had a blast making short and fast slasher turns on it.

I probably could have used a few more cm's, as I did manage to sink the tip a few times in deep powder, although this is the biggest size they offered.

As far as the ride is concerned I have no complaints!

So now the bad part...

My first time out on the board, I developed a two foot long top sheet delamination along the right side of the board. I contacted Prior who graciously paid for shipping back to the factory. They offered to fix the board as soon as possible or I could wait a month or two and they'd make me a new one... it wasn't a tough decision with the snow simultaneously falling outside my window. Two weeks later I was out riding again, with only some minor cosmetic blemishes on the top sheet at the site of the repair and a slight annoyance with my two week absence from the backcountry.

Approximately a month later, after skinning to a ridge top, I had just removed the two planks from my feet in preparation for a conversion to board mode. A guy I met there at the top of the mountain was checking out the two halves with a puzzled look on his face. He asked, "Does that thing have reverse camber?" I looked at the two planks sitting there, straight up out of the snow, and I noticed that one ski appeared as if it was blatantly infringing on lib techs rocker between the bindings patent.
It turned out that the one ski had actually cracked right beneath the touring bracket during the ascent, and there was only a minimal amount of material keeping the tip and tail of the ski connected to each other. As a result of this fracture, the banana resemblance was astounding.

I ended up assembling the two halves and hobbling down the mountain in board mode, with one ski cracked right in the middle.

Overall, I was in love with the ride of Priors 165 AMF splitboard, although after two faulty construction issues and very few hours on the board, I decided to return it to REI. I am subsequently looking at other splitboard companies, and hopefully a board in one of their lineups that offer rocker.

Zach B.

Post subject: Re: Prior AMF 165 splitboard
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm 

I've got the same board, 165 splitboard - and I can only echo all the positive things you've had to say about it, it's uncanny how nice this board is to ride... That said I've only got 5 or 6 days on it so far, and am now really hoping your situation was the exception and not the rule!

I live a ferry ride away from Prior, so if I have any issues like that you can bet I'll be paying them a visit!

Post subject: Re: Prior AMF 165 splitboard
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:06 pm 

My goodness!! That is very surprising that your board died so soon! I'm used to Priors being very well made... And for 1,200 bucks you'd expect years of pounding before disintegration!

What other factory splitboards are you looking at? The Helix?