Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salomon Sick Stick??? Monk?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:59 am 

Anyone around here riding a solid or split Salomon Sick Stick?

Looks like a potentially killer shape/rocker for takin the freestyle to the UT backcountry pow. There's about 3 mm of traditional camber between your feet and then rocker just outside them leading into tips that lift dramatically. I got a look at one that had been split a few days ago but no feedback from the owner. Looked like a really sweet setup with a bit of taper but still able to ride near centered. Word on the street is that it actually does work pretty well switch in the pow. Seems like it would spin and flip reasonably well. Torn between the 156 and 160, I have a '65 Khyber already, looking for something more playful that can still float the UT pow.

Post up if you've ridden this board. Both first hand experience and armchair engineering always welcome :thumpsup:

Post subject: Re: Salomon Sick Stick??? Monk?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:33 pm 

i've tried it during a boardtest last season, i liked it. alot.

it is definitely the surfiest board I've ever tried. from what i remember it was med/soft longitudinally and very soft torsionally. lots of pop. i'm not much of a jibber (last time i tried, my buddy had to go to the hospital and get 6 stitches in his arm) but with this board i was doing butters and 180's of the side of the slope.

i would get it in a heart beat if they made it longer (i think163 is max) and i was sure of the durability (i have the k2 gyrator, lets just say i'm not satisfied)

if you do get one would you get back to me on the durability issue when you tried it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:33 pm 

Well, I bought a 160 today. Specifically wanted this board a little shorter than my Khyber. Plan to start beating the piss out of it asap. Probably will ride as a solid board for a few weeks until Monk has some time to split it for me. Hoping to be able to ride switch and generate some rotation on this thing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm 

dont worry, some switch rotations will be had.