Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rockered Boards - Worth the hype?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:08 pm 

I'm looking for as much input on reverse cambered (rockered) boards.

Are they just for the park or do they live up to the hype for splitting purposes in the deep. My biggest concern is how they perform when touring over long distances on multi day tirps compared to a traditional cambered board? Currently, I've got a Prior Backcountry split and I'm considering taking a shot at the Prior AMF split with hybrid rocker. With only one other posting on the site regarding this board and the fact that I haven't had a chance to demo the board leaves me scratching my head wondering what to do....

So....in your opinion, is "rocker" just another gimmick to sell some boards or is it seriously going to stick around?

Post subject: Re: Rockered Boards - Worth the hype?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:05 pm 

Wow, a lot of discussion on this as of late. I don't own a rockered board (yet) but have demo'd several. I can say that they are awesome in powder and if you are a jib type rider in the backcountry, you can ride them centered stance. They float great, butter the hell out of them, etc. I think you lose a little on the skin, especially going up a steep section that is firm vs powder. This belief comes from having friends on rocker skis having problems taking the same angle as on my split.

Rocker is not going anywhere, it's got it's advantages and for backcountry use it's huge. It all depends on what you're doing and what your goals are. I am pretty sure I am going to commission a rockered split from Neversummer this upcoming season. So I think it's worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 pm 

i rode a lib skunk ape all last season, centered the whole time, and loved the feeling. i'd just come off riding a ride mountain for like 9 years, so it was huge change. just my experience, rocker makes floating easier in pow for sure, and more of a surfy shift your hip kind of ride. what snowboarding is for me for sure. the mag worked really well too. i was thinking of splitting it, but figured i'd get pete wagner to build me something special.

i agree, rocker isn't going anywhere, neither is camber, as they all have their uses. i can guarantee someone's going to pop up with a more straight sidecut/reverse sidecut profile, which'll change everything in bc riding. especially for riding the narrows.

yup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 pm 

Depends on your riding style, and whether your looking for a quiver or an all in one.

Rocker will be more 'boat hull' with surf inspired float in deep pow.

Haven't climbed on one split yet, but would agree with steep and kill that it could compromise ski performance slightly.

If your looking to arc carves, and want to weight into your board (and have it push back- with your side cut acting like a bow and arrow)- you'll want to stick with camber.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:14 am 

Um lets see my surfboard is rockered, my wakeboard is rockered, even my skateboard is rockered, why let the ski industry decide the shape of your board? Its not the hard boots or even the shape of the board it is the rider that makes it all happen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm 

kinda peripheral to this discussion...
but what do yall think bout the prior amf type 'hybrid camber' vs the ns 'rockered camber'???
both have rocker n camber but on the prior the rocker is on tip n tail whereas the ns design puts the rocker b/w the feet...
seems to me that camber on the ends does more to distribute pressure out along the edge but i expect im biased, prejudiced n shiz.... like ta hear any other takes on the subject??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:42 pm 

^^^ Karkis, I don't know anything about the Prior, but the NS stuff is awesome. To me, it's logical the way the rockered camber works - rocker in pow, but when on firmer surfaces, the weight of your body pushes the cambered ends into contact with the snow. I bought a Legacy RC last year, having never been on any rockered board, and was instantly impressed. The best board I have ever ridden hands down, in any condition - pow, kickers, hauling ass, billy goating sketchy spots. I'm scheming up ways to come up with the loot to get an NS Monked. (btw, Monk, it's badass that your name has become a verb!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:02 pm 

Definately the best thing to happen to snowboarding since Magnetraction.

...you know when you're tired and you need to will the board around that last time so you don't stuff it. Well...all that need to will the board to turn is a thing of the past with a rockered/ reverse-camber board - the board will go where you want it to. It's more mental - and less phsical.

I rode a lib-tech bannana board for a while on resort 2 years ago and man that thing flew around.
I would buy a reverse camber split if I had the dough, but that cash is going into some big mountaineering boots and some materials to make some ultra-lightweight bindings. Gotta get higher.

...don't forget the magnetraction - coming to a icy mountain near you soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:38 pm 

Yes...............and then some.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 am 

I have bought a new Prior AMF 165 with rocker in the tip and tail and camber under foot this fall. I have been riding it at Rogers Pass for the past 2 weeks. I love the board. It is my 3rd split (168 backcountry + 165 Kyber Prior my last 2 splits) and by far the most fun and versitile. No problem on the uptrack, tips up and all grip. Switch pow turns no problem, so easy to ride and less twitchy than the kyber when on edge at speed. Backside 180's in pow on my split this winter :bananas:
Don't forget to get a pair of Spark R&D binders if you still want to snowboard while you go splitboarding. :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 am 

I am gonna wait a little 'til the rocker designs get sorted out a little more. I really think a board that just had a rockered tip (rocker starting at the front foot), flat mid section and tail would be the most versatile for backcountry free riding and splitting. I am a directional rider, so switch riding is not an issue for me. Those who want to ride switch in pow regularly would want a board with rocker in the tip and tail.
A lot of the big mountain pow skis have gone to rocker tip design for float and ease of initiation in pow, mated with a flat midbody and tail to retain stability at speed and when landing airs.
I expect that for skinning, a rocker tip-flat mid to tail board would work as well as any normal cambered board; steep skinning never relies on grip from the front section of the split-ski. The reverse sidecut stuff is a great idea for pure pow riding, but seems really limited in general use: I have a hard time imagining getting down most out-tracks with this kind of design.
I hope to see a rockered tip board, with a flat section from the middle of the board to the tail, with 8-10 mm of taper, and minimal (around 11-12 m radius) sidecut soon-I really think a board like this would offer tremendous versatility for splitboard freeriding.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 am 

barrows wrote:
I am gonna wait a little 'til the rocker designs get sorted out a little more. I really think a board that just had a rockered tip (rocker starting at the front foot), flat mid section and tail would be the most versatile for backcountry free riding and splitting. I am a directional rider, so switch riding is not an issue for me. Those who want to ride switch in pow regularly would want a board with rocker in the tip and tail.
A lot of the big mountain pow skis have gone to rocker tip design for float and ease of initiation in pow, mated with a flat midbody and tail to retain stability at speed and when landing airs.
I expect that for skinning, a rocker tip-flat mid to tail board would work as well as any normal cambered board; steep skinning never relies on grip from the front section of the split-ski. The reverse sidecut stuff is a great idea for pure pow riding, but seems really limited in general use: I have a hard time imagining getting down most out-tracks with this kind of design.
I hope to see a rockered tip board, with a flat section from the middle of the board to the tail, with 8-10 mm of taper, and minimal (around 11-12 m radius) sidecut soon-I really think a board like this would offer tremendous versatility for splitboard freeriding.

http://www.venturesnowboards.com/index. ... orm_r.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 pm 

bones get broke wrote:
http://www.venturesnowboards.com/index.php?inc=storm_r.html

Or you can do what I just did...buy a K2 Gyrator off of ebay and having it split!! :disco: Stoked to try tip and tail rocker.

I just can't get over Hungry Like a Wolf/Rio stylie: