Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: East coast splitboard suggestions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 am 

Alright, i've had a splitboard for 5 seasons. My first board was a Burton Cascade 170. Loved that board but fairly heavy. I bought Voile Mojo 171 for 08 and got some sparks II. Love the lighter stuff... but the board isn't the best ride out there compare to my Malolo and Fish that i use inbounds.

I'd like a board that would simply float better and handle the tight trees we have on the EC. I would like a shorter board as well... driving the long 171 in pow just after riding the Fish 160 is always harder... especially because it floats less!

Right now, i'm looking at 2 options:

- Prior Khyber-r 165 :: Canadian company. Good reviews. I know it's a geo that i'll love. I'm curious about the rockered boards... My riding partner just got one and loves it after only one try compare to his Mojo from last year.

- Venture Euforia (166/25 or 167/26) :: Seems like a great company. Love their ethics and way of thinking. Everyone here seem to enjoy their boards but i've never actually seen one. I'm curious about size... 25.4mm waist boards have always worked fine... I wear size 10US boots... so no issues... but wondering about the size... Opinions on this???

Obviously, i love tapered boards. I'm also very curious about rockered boards... I prefer a softer board for pow. I got plenty of stiff boards for inbounds. I want floatation and maneuverability

I would still keep the mojo and would have only one set of Sparks to use on both boards. The mojo would be used on big tours with crappier snow... The new board would be used on epic pow days only.

So, am i missing something? Anything i'm overlooking? Brands i should look into?

Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject: Re: East coast splitboard suggestions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:50 am 

Have you thought about going even smaller? I'm 5'9" 165 lbs w/o gear and I ride a 154 Malolo for resort pow, a 162 split and a 155 groomer board. I love the 154, it is the perfect size for the tight trees and floats very well. I wish my split was around 157. The 162 feels too heavy and long for tighter trees. It feel unnecessary.

If you go with a rockered board, you could definitely go shorter. Just a thought.

BTW - I'm also on the East Coast

Twitter: http://twitter.com/checkyourpins
Instagram: http://instagram.com/checkyourpins
Facebook: http://facebook.com/checkyourpins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:32 pm 

rightsider wrote:
Have you thought about going even smaller? I'm 5'9" 165 lbs w/o gear and I ride a 154 Malolo for resort pow, a 162 split and a 155 groomer board. I love the 154, it is the perfect size for the tight trees and floats very well. I wish my split was around 157. The 162 feels too heavy and long for tighter trees. It feel unnecessary.

I'm 6' and 180lbs w/o gear... with a pack and all the equipment, i guess around 200lbs... So a 160 Fish is perfect as well as the Malolo 162.

I think a board somewhere around 162-166 should do the trick... I was scared of getting the Mojo in 166 since it lacked a tapered shape...

rightsider wrote:
BTW - I'm also on the East Coast

Cool! Which area?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:26 am 

I'm about the same size as you, and I'm on a Khyber 160. It has never felt too short here on the EC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 pm 

I'd stay away from the Mojo in the smaller size. I love it out here on the west coast...but i did a tour on it once back east visiting family and its just tough to wiggle through trees given its shape.

Ever think of custom splitting a non-ics channel Fish? That would be the sh*t i would imagine back east in the woods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:40 am 

Im in the same boat as you. The mojo turns like a tank in the tight stuff.
Ive been thinking about splitting a smokin pinner. They are very fish like but with the Magnetraction and normal inserts so you dont have that fish issue. Im broke now but I think for next season I think I will see if I can get Jay to make me one without the completely ugly graphics so that I can split it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:33 am 

I'm an east coast rider and have several Venture boards. One being the Euphoria 160 narrow (my foot is a size 7). It does well in tight trees and floats with little effort. With a size 10 you probably want a medium with but ask the good people at Venture whats best for you. I also ride the 157 Helix Twin for icy resort riding. The Zeypher is another sweet deck. I have a few different sizes and ride them depending on my mood and snow conditions. Hope that helps.

Ben

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:53 pm 

torn66 wrote:
Ever think of custom splitting a non-ics channel Fish? That would be the sh*t i would imagine back east in the woods.

And i do happen to have a Fish and a Malolo lying around now that i have the new ICS version...

Could try and split my own...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 am 

well if you dont decide to then I'll take em off you hands and do it myself.