Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: length
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm 

Hello,
Sorry i know this is a redundant topic, but I'm looking for advice.
I'm buying a mojo and wanted some input on what length to get.
I'm 6'1", 190lbs. My freeride board is 162cm.
I'm not sure if the 171 is going to be too long for me based on what i'm used to.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: length
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 pm 

I'm 6', 195 and ride a Mojo 166... It's a good match for the terrain I ride which includes tight aspen glades as well as open terrain.

Any longer a board and the glades would probably be out of the question(for me). I like to ride relaxed, so maybe a more aggressive rider could ride the same tree lines on a longer voile, but I like being laid back on my lines.

On the open terrain, longer is better in my opinion. But again its more an issue of style. Regardless the 166 has served me well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 pm 

I'm bit weighty and shorty than you..
Rode 164 and 172 boadrs in deep powder and didn't feel much difference in the movements. Also in groomer and forest.
Get 171 for more surface.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 pm 

I'm 6'1.75" 235lbs. I ride big bowls, steep pines and steep open aspens. I ride a 171 Mojo. I feel any thing shorter would be to small.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:56 pm 

I'm 6'1, 175, and started off with a 171 Mtn Gun. I recently swapped with a fellow boarder for the more manageable (IMO) 166. I have a more relaxed ride style and can't imagine having a lot of control with the 171. Taking it near trees last season made me feel like I had to plan 5 steps ahead so I didn't lose momentum. We'll see how it goes this season with the 166, but I'm getting good vibes thus far ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:59 pm 

I'm 6'1, 205 and I've been usin a 165 for a couple years, and its to small. ridin with a heavy pack sucks ass, and I'm tired of breakin trail when you sink twice as far as the next guy. Just upgraded to a 172 spearhead, and I'm hopin the taper gives me the the responsiveness I would normally be givin up with a board that big.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:14 am 

I'm in a very similar boat to several of you. I'm 5-10 175lbs boot size 10.5. My solid freeride board is 162/25 and treats me pretty well.

I just purchased a Venture Storm-R size 166/25, which will be used for mostly day trips (perhaps one hut trip per year) in varied terrain and conditions. I'm now having second thoughts and board size anxiety.

Anyone have words of wisdom. Should I downsize to 162/25 or perhaps split the difference with 163/26?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:06 pm 

Quote:
I'm in a very similar boat to several of you. I'm 5-10 175lbs boot size 10.5. My solid freeride board is 162/25 and treats me pretty well.

I just purchased a Venture Storm-R size 166/25, which will be used for mostly day trips (perhaps one hut trip per year) in varied terrain and conditions. I'm now having second thoughts and board size anxiety.

Anyone have words of wisdom. Should I downsize to 162/25 or perhaps split the difference with 163/26?
roy, I am right there with ya, sorta. I am about your size and weight (I've been called short 'round here and am cool with that as most folks posting on this thread seem to be Norse Gods... :D )
Anyhoo, I just scored a Storm-R 162 and am sweatin' it being too small.
But as Ecobrad said, it's all about the down..
So, if you don't like yours and I don't like mine, you know where to find me!

BD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:48 pm 

This is great. I was searching to see if anyone had asked this very question. I am ready to pull the trigger on my first real (not homemade) split and can't decide between the 166 and 171.

I am apparently one of the biggest sasquatches on here at 6-3, 215, size 13. I was leaning towards 171 for the extra width, but had my concerns about maneuverability. It sounds to me like the taper helps a lot with that and the added length will help when skinning in the deep stuff.

split.therapy wrote:
I'm 6'1.75" 235lbs. I ride big bowls, steep pines and steep open aspens. I ride a 171 Mojo. I feel any thing shorter would be to small.

Thanks. That helps a lot.

krz2fer wrote:
I recently swapped with a fellow boarder for the more manageable (IMO) 166.

I guess there are lots of people out there asking the same questions, so as long as I keep it in good shape. Good call.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:01 pm 

tudorSD wrote:
This is great. I was searching to see if anyone had asked this very question. I am ready to pull the trigger on my first real (not homemade) split and can't decide between the 166 and 171.

I am apparently one of the biggest sasquatches on here at 6-3, 215, size 13. I was leaning towards 171 for the extra width, but had my concerns about maneuverability. It sounds to me like the taper helps a lot with that and the added length will help when skinning in the deep stuff.

split.therapy wrote:

Thanks. That helps a lot.

krz2fer wrote:
I recently swapped with a fellow boarder for the more manageable (IMO) 166.

I guess there are lots of people out there asking the same questions, so as long as I keep it in good shape. Good call.

More so than height (a couple inches either way), it seems like weight is the biggest thing. You have to factor in your body weight with the pack weight. Obviously, the more weight you have, the more flotation you'll need.

Seems like a lot of us teeter on the edge of "too small" or "too big" and it just takes some time figuring out what's best maneuverable when off the hard pack resort snow. Going back to what a few have said, I think it's all about style and the type of backcountry you will be encountering.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:26 pm 

spruce cabin wrote:
Quote:

roy, I am right there with ya, sorta. I am about your size and weight (I've been called short 'round here and am cool with that as most folks posting on this thread seem to be Norse Gods... :D )
Anyhoo, I just scored a Storm-R 162 and am sweatin' it being too small.
But as Ecobrad said, it's all about the down..
So, if you don't like yours and I don't like mine, you know where to find me!

BD

Thanks Spruce! I actually decided to downsize to the 163/26 so that might nullify our potential trade. Good call with focusing on the down and I'm also mainly working with wetter, heavier north cascades snow so not as much concern on floating :(

Shred the 'roy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:33 am 

Get the 171 , I m 180+ and 5'8 , and I love mine, but I love bigger boards ,as you can see....

Its not that much more of a board... And in the pow you 'll be thanking yourself.

Do yourself a favor though. Bring your splitty to the resort and dial it in there , and a few different days. Its really the idea way to go. Do not wait to go in the backcountry with a board you ve never ridden.

I know it sounds funny , but I only ride splitboards now, at the area and obviously in the BC....

Have fun ..

Bigger the better I think....

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:51 pm 

This is the thread that I was looking for when I first joined Splitboard.com so I'll add my :twocents: ......knowing other peoples height and weight helped me out to determine the length was best suited for my riding style.....

I'm 5'-9", 160 lbs and I ride a 158 Prior Backcountry....