Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: disadvantages of rocker on icy steeps?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm 

I'm checking out lots of new models with rocker for this season, and
trying to make sense of rocker-technology. I think I've got a handle on the plusses, but what about the disadvantages?

I already have a nice big flexible board for deep deep days. I'm interested in a board for steep icy conditions, where I need it to hold an edge above all. Will the shortened effective edge of rocker let me down here? Should I stick to tried-and-true camber boards in this case?

Again, I'm not really that interested in a one-quiver board.

Post subject: Re: disadvantages of rocker on icy steeps?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 am 

alessi wrote:
I'm interested in a board for steep icy conditions, where I need it to hold an edge above all.

If that's what you're looking for then I would agree that a rockered board is not your best option. As you said, the less effective edge the less hold. The exception might be a rockered magne board, the magne will help offset the shorter effective edge but if you really want a board specifically for the firm, icy steeps I would look to a regular cambered board with magne.

Hope that helps! :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am 

bcrider wrote:
alessi wrote:
I'm interested in a board for steep icy conditions, where I need it to hold an edge above all.

If that's what you're looking for then I would agree that a rockered board is not your best option. As you said, the less effective edge the less hold. The exception might be a rockered magne board, the magne will help offset the shorter effective edge but if you really want a board specifically for the firm, icy steeps I would look to a regular cambered board with magne.

Hope that helps! :twocents:

Snowboarders don't ride icy steeps silly! They just side slip couloirs on their way to the park. We'll give 'em rocker on every board so they can ride powder easier and don't catch their edges when they are trying to do those funny looking nose press thingys.

I'm still bitter if you can't tell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 am 

There are still cambered boards out there. I guess if you want a cambered jib stick you're a little out of luck these days. Smaller market for cambered boards, sure, but they still exist.

Neversummers rocker/camber tech does a great job of giving you the best of both worlds. Way more stable and edge control, plus the rocker surf. So good that Lib and others are copying it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 pm 

For icy steeps, where edge control is paramount, you want a firm flexing board, with minimal nose and tail, and the least amount of sidecut you can find. Back when race boards were around 163 cm and reasonable width they made great boards for icy steeps 'cause they had small noses and tails, and very straight sidecuts-I had a Rossi 163 that offered incredible control in icy steeps. Right now the best boards I know of for control in these conditions are the Winterstick ST, and Tom Burt. It is very difficult to control deeper sidecuts on hard steep terrain-When you come across the falline you can end up hanging on the tip and tail of the board, with no edge pressure (I have even seen a space!) between your feet.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm 

Dont dog it unless you have tried it. I believe neversummer has nailed it with their rocker shape. Riding the rocker camber in icy conditions I noticed their was an added contact point in between the bindings, I was in better control of the board than with a traditional shaped board. (There is some kind of magnatraction with the neversummers shape) But far beyond that was way the board turns in all conditions. I am sold on the new technology and am sure some all snow companies will have it dialed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 pm 

Never Summer :rock: . Nuff said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:16 am 

I remember seeing a couloir specific board on Boheme's website before they went down, then came up again as Phenix.

It was called the tonal; 152cm, 5 cm tip and tail, and 19m sidecut!

(can't add any more to the posts above about rocker)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:08 pm 

nedrapier wrote:
I remember seeing a couloir specific board on Boheme's website before they went down, then came up again as Phenix.

It was called the tonal; 152cm, 5 cm tip and tail, and 19m sidecut!

(can't add any more to the posts above about rocker)

Note the sidecut of that bad boy, 19! No problem with edge in the ice there. "Modern" sidecuts are fine for the park...not for speed/steep terrain. You could build a steeps board with rocker, better sidecut and small tip/tail. Rocker in and of itself isn't an issue. Huge rocker like the K2 Gyrator is not good for steep icy stuff. I don't believe it is needed either. Edge hold is controlled by many factors, rocker is only one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:57 pm 

Magnetraction - nothing works like it on ice.

I called LibTech/ Mervin last year & suggested they make a magnetraction split - but they politely told me they were making way too much money with bannana boards to go niche & make a split.

My view is that they should license the magnetraction concept to Voile or Prior, who may do something with it, for folks who definately need it. Although Lib did make magne skis last year