Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: snow mullet or NS Summit split ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:20 am 

hi there.

Riding from Dezember till Mai in the swiss alps. This year I wanna make/buy a custom splitboard for my quiver. Allready got a Burton fish 160 4 the forest and a Völkl Selecta 168 for open fields and a Bataleon undiputed for groomers. But in the end, the snowshoeing sucks and all my friends with skis are way to fast :-(

Has anyone experience with an Lib Tech snow mullet 172 or NS Summit 172 as Splitboard??? How is the handling of a Summit in not perfect conditons?

In general, I like stiff boards, with a lot of stanceback and lots of taper. Got 210lbs, and looking 4 a splitboard 4 all kind of powder conditions specially in springtime :-D

Has anyone a recommandation or experience with one of those board?

Cheers from Zürich

Post subject: Re: snow mullet or NS Summit split ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 am 

i have a 165 mullet thats not split and it is not a stiff board. i'd imagine that it would soften up once it is split. Its super fun and playful but flops a bit at high speeds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 am 

I have a NS Summit 167 split. Great board, works well in all conditions. Plenty stiff. I've taken it out in all conditions and it has performed admirably for me. Next year's design is rumored to have a rocker nose. Giving it even more float. The trade off for the rockered nose may come in more hardpack conditions. I haven't ridden next year's model so I can't truly say what I think of it. The reports on the demo models have been very positive. Especially when slaying powder with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:24 pm 

I have made a few runs on the 07 167 NS Summit and the 09 165 Mullet BTX. Both boards were the solid version. I weigh 145, but push a board pretty hard in powder.

For my riding, the Mullet was too soft and I did not like how much it would bend between the bindings. I was amazed at how small of turns the Mullet would make in powder though. Too tight for me, but if you want maneuverable or ride tight trees.......

The Summit seemed like a more balanced flex pattern and stiffness. It was not at the top of my powder board list (personal preference), but it is a very good and well made board.

From my experience, if you want a stiffer board, go with the NS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:48 am 

hi guys

thanx for your suggestions and advices. I asked the customsplitboards.com-crew if they can split a nidecker Megalight Ultragrib 167xl which is carbon reinforced. A nice stiff snowboard with some kind of "magnatraction"...

Or knows anyone an other freeride-board for splitting, which is at least 170cm long and has between 10 and 30mm taper? Else there is still the prior spearhead...

@Killclimbz
Are you riding the summit-stick ducked? The stanceback of the summit with 3.5in is HUGE :bananas: -> at which inserts have you mounted your pucks?

November - Mai is snowboard-time. :headbang: :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 pm 

Riding +-15 stance. So yeah, ducked out. I started out with my stance set all the way back. That was a bit much, I was basically standing on the tail. Fun in deep powder conditions, but a little squirrely on the harder stuff. I moved it up to the second insert from the front for the remainder of that season. Last season, it felt like I wasn't quite getting the float I expected, so I moved it back another insert or two. I forget, but the results were right what I wanted I have stuck with it since. The board rides surprisingly well switch, though with the set back, you're not going to for long switch in deep powder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 am 

Hey Fige.
Nice to see another person from Zurich out there on a splitboard!!! I'm in Winti and last season was my first with a 178 spearhead. It's a great stiff ride, although I had little bit of trouble since it's so wide. Especially since I am mostly following SAC skiers who's 1st goal is to bag peaks and powder is an added bonus.

Drop me a line in November if you want to try out my spearhead.

Cheers
Adam