Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior AMF Split
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:57 pm 

What do you guys think about what they call "hybrid rocker"?

http://splitboard.com/site/Splitboard_H ... board.html

Post subject: Re: Prior AMF Split
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:55 am 

I demo'd a solid one a few weeks ago, and I thought it was amazing. The rocker makes it super easy to turn, but not catchy at all. The edge holds really well when you want it to, and of course it is good switch. Seemed good on the icy steeps. It was an icy spring day, so I am curios how it is in the pow. Also, I am curios how well it will skin. Hopefully there will be enough edge and base in contact with the snow to hold on icy traverses. One advantage is the nose is narrower than my Khyber, which always seems like it is just one inch wider than any skin track that I'm following. I'm super intrigued because it is so much fun to ride, so if it skins well and it floats in the deep it will be my next split.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:12 am 

haven't ridden any reverse camber yet but just curious...where in AK are you from?

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 pm 

ive got a k2 gyrator 162 as a solid board, and it handles pow nicely. the cool think about rocker design is you dont have to lean back in pow as with camber

Im thinking with exchange rates, the prior AMF rocker is the split for me

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 pm 

I also have Gyrator158 and love it :D . I own old Burton C-Split 165 and haven't ridden at all since 03, so maybe this one would be my next split.

I used to live in Fairbanks but not anymore. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:29 pm 

no taper ... littel offset ... no chamber ......

i tink not so good - on long tours....

no taper - short board - only long board s run without taper..... more than 175

littel offset (1,3 cm ) back bone pain .... you stand the most time with your arsch on the tail ...
no chamber .... walk modus not so good - walk like an old yoused board....
++++ short board s light on feet....

but for downhill riding fun riding with out big backs it is a fun board...

i tink not a first board for all mountain....

burton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:53 pm 

Although never demo-ed I'm considering the AMF as my next splitboard (maybe this season if not next). I'm a female rider on a Prior Backcountry 158. I ride a Burton Feelgood ES 155 in bounds.

I definitely feel like I'm having a hard time making turns with the Prior being a little longer, definitely a lot stiffer with a set back stance. I'm not a freestyler by any means.. so I won't be switch riding or hucking airs.. I'm hoping the flexibility of the AMF and 156 size will work better for me. I think the rockered tip will definitely help with float and make up for me going from a 158 to a 156.

Maybe its the board, or maybe its my (lack of) technique. But I was making faster and better turns with my Burton and Baker's huge dump of snow this week then when I was riding my splitboard in the backcountry pow the week before that. Is it possible my riding sucks that bad? Or can the board really be the problem??

I'm hoping someone can provide a little insight.. either with riding rockered boards in pow.. or have any clues as to why I feel so off-balanced and not having any control on the split.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 pm 

I can only say good things about my new Prior AMF Split.
Finally I don't have to give up the feeling of snowboarding to go splitboarding. (with Sparks of course)
I floats great in the pow and it's been deep at Rogers Pass this year.
Up tracking is rad with less nose width than my old kyber I fit in the skin track better. no problem with the rocker on the skins, it helped keep my tips up breaking trail.
If you are looking for a great do everyting split that you can even do switch pow turns on than look no further.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:23 am 

I bought the solid AMF that I demo'd, and I'm super stoked on it! It's so fun. But for deep heavy snow, I prefer my Khyber split. The wide nose and taper on that board make it rail turns in all kinds of pow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:21 pm 

ARKANA wrote:
Although never demo-ed I'm considering the AMF as my next splitboard (maybe this season if not next). I'm a female rider on a Prior Backcountry 158. I ride a Burton Feelgood ES 155 in bounds.

I definitely feel like I'm having a hard time making turns with the Prior being a little longer, definitely a lot stiffer with a set back stance. I'm not a freestyler by any means.. so I won't be switch riding or hucking airs.. I'm hoping the flexibility of the AMF and 156 size will work better for me. I think the rockered tip will definitely help with float and make up for me going from a 158 to a 156.

Maybe its the board, or maybe its my (lack of) technique. But I was making faster and better turns with my Burton and Baker's huge dump of snow this week then when I was riding my splitboard in the backcountry pow the week before that. Is it possible my riding sucks that bad? Or can the board really be the problem??

I'm hoping someone can provide a little insight.. either with riding rockered boards in pow.. or have any clues as to why I feel so off-balanced and not having any control on the split.

what sort of bindings do you use on the split...old voile slider plates can make you feel not connected to your board..plus your split will be heavier and most likely you will have a pack on your back...lots of difference to just riding the ski field.....try to slow your transitions down between turns and expect to compress more on landings..etc...have fun... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:04 pm 

Yeah just got the AMF 162 and i just love it,mad to go skin all the time now,solid board and feels so normal,even without the sparks,can't wait to get a pair of them on it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:46 pm 

After speaking to a rep from Prior.. he suggested the 159 is a great board. I'm hesitant to go even bigger (from an inbound 155 and too-stiff Backcountry 158). But he mentioned because of the centre stance and the hybrid rocker.. it'll definitely feel like a shorter ride. He guarantees I'll be turning tighter in those trees compared to the Backcountry 158.

I hope he's right! I'm on the backorder list for some Fuse bindings. Hope those will help in the meantime.. but looks like the AMF split will be the purchase for next season

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:59 pm 

ARKANA wrote:
After speaking to a rep from Prior.. he suggested the 159 is a great board. I'm hesitant to go even bigger (from an inbound 155 and too-stiff Backcountry 158). But he mentioned because of the centre stance and the hybrid rocker.. it'll definitely feel like a shorter ride. He guarantees I'll be turning tighter in those trees compared to the Backcountry 158.

I hope he's right! I'm on the backorder list for some Fuse bindings. Hope those will help in the meantime.. but looks like the AMF split will be the purchase for next season

Arkana: pay some attention to board width too. Most girls have smaller feet, and need narrow boards to be able to have some responsiveness. I know the Feelgoods are pretty narrow, is your Prior wider? A more responsive board will be softer in flex, and narrower. Stay away from anything that is stiffer or wider than your Feelgood. Rocker can help, a rockered board will be easier to turn in pow, all other things remaining equal. But make sure the board is not too wide.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/