Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Prior AMF Split
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:01 pm 

Thanks for the heads up Barrows. Luckily.. its not too costly to change the width waste on a custom Prior board (around $70). I'm going in to the shop next week to demo the solid 159 version in Whistler.

I was talking to some guys at the local board shops. In general they say to size down significantly when riding rockered boards. I told them I'm heading only into the backcountry on this board and skinning is a big factor.. so why go shorter? maybe they only know what these boards are capable of inbounds.. and don't realize what backcountry terrain/travel entails. the prior board is "hybrid rockered" compared to new V rockers that Burton is selling.

regardless, the guy's suggestion was to put snowshoes on and give'r. I just laughed.. I'm talking about splitboarding and he's telling me to put snowshoes on.

I think I'll stick with Prior's suggestion to go to the 159. I'm stoked to try it out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm 

Took the 159 solid version out for a spin at Whistler. Super hardpacked and icy conditions.. and I was surprised how amazingly well I held the edge. I could barely tell the difference in holding an edge when compared to a traditional cambered board. I definitely noticed the rocker in the tail.. felt like "controlled sliding".

Definitely didn't feel like I was riding a too-long or oversized board being that I normally ride a 155 inbounds. I doubt that I'd be less then ecstatic when riding pow in the backcountry.

Went back to the Prior shop and ordered my 159 AMF split! Can't wait to pick it up.

Also can't say enough about the customer service at Prior. They definitely walked me throughout the entire process of choosing a new board, figuring out a setup, answering a lot of questions and getting a free demo. Thanks to everyone for their input and advice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:39 am 

Just got mine... Took it out to Mt. Washington, but alas conditions were pretty hard packed/ice after the previous day of super wet/heavy snow cooled off. That said, It was a good chance to see how it handles on really hard stuff - not too bad at all!

Of course that's not why I got it... so hopefully we'll get some fresh snow soon and I can see how it handles in real snow :)

update, had it out a few times, wrote a quick review:
http://outdoorvanisle.ca/entries/skiing ... lit-review

long and short of it, it's great - rides like a solid board, skins like a champ