Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Flex and Pop: Prior vs. Venture vs. Voile, etc....?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flex and Pop: Prior vs. Venture vs. Voile, etc....?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 am 

Anyone that has ridden both a Voile Mojo and another factory split care to comment on the comparative flex and pop?

As the season comes to an end I've found myself becoming equally comfortable on a split as my other boards, but I find that my Voile doesn't exhibit a lot of pop when hitting terrain features. Perhaps its the extra gear weight involved in touring, but it just seems sort of lifeless.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Flex and Pop: Prior vs. Venture vs. Voile, etc....?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am 

Go for a Prior or Burton.

Snurfer wrote:
Anyone that has ridden both a Voile Mojo and another factory split care to comment on the comparative flex and pop?

As the season comes to an end I've found myself becoming equally comfortable on a split as my other boards, but I find that my Voile doesn't exhibit a lot of pop when hitting terrain features. Perhaps its the extra gear weight involved in touring, but it just seems sort of lifeless.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:04 pm 

Remember that in the backcountry you are carrying significantly more weight than you would be at a resort. Subsequently, to get a similar feel, your backcountry board will need to be stiffer than your resort board.
I have not ridden Voiles, but compared to similar sizes of Priors the Voiles seem a little softer; but I would suspect a big difference in feel between the two is that the Voiles typically have a deeper sidecut, and cap construction. I highly recommend Priors, the Backcountry Splitboard is a medium stiff board, and Prior makes all their boards stiffer as one goes up in length (note their recommended rider weights): my Prior Backcountry 168 split feels to me to be a medium stiffness (I am 170 lb, plus gear) and is about perfect for a versatile all conditions board. My Prior Spearhead 178 is much stiffer, and really requires some speed to become manuverable, but once up to speed, look out!
As far as "pop" goes, this is an elusive quality to me, but I guess it goes along with stiffness, and rider fitness. The fitter the rider, the more easily the rider can load up a stiff board and get the pop. Is the Voile just too soft for you, do you feel like you are overpowering it, or getting the nose to fold in heavy pow?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:36 pm 

Hey EcoBrad and Barrows, good info.

As far getting the nose to fold in powder... Not at all, powder on the Voile is fine. Its not anything like my swallowtail, but nothing really is. But that is another post entirely and I digress....
What I'm not able to do on the Voile is load, or pump the board going into landscape features. Thats what I'm referring to as pop.
I'm not a rail rider, or any of that but if you watch park riders they'll load the board right before hitting a feature and then unweight it as opposed to just riding through, or over a feature.
This is what I can't seem to do on the Voile. I'd best describe it as board that has lost its camber, Or as you put it being too soft.
As for weight/fitness, for me this really doesn't change much from riding on piste. Where I ride a 163 Arbor, or a 173 Wasatch ST with much the same gear.

In any event, I think your right about needing a stiffer board.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 am 

i ride a Venture Divide 180, but it's the only splitty i've ridden. anyways, it's a pretty bomber board, pretty stiff which i think is good all the way around in a splitty. i hear ya' on the pop thing, and i think for a split and with all the extra weight being packed this thing springs great.

Unity Dominion 180