Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Splitboard newb!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 pm 

Ok so I will be the first to admit I know less than nothing practically when it comes to splitboarding other than I REALLY wanna try it. :D

First off, I have been boarding for over 10 years and really like what the backcountry here in AK has to offer. However, I am sick of snowshoeing and postholeing while watching the skiers cruise up the mountain with relative ease. So that got me thinking of split boarding. I have a decent budget in which to work with so I am looking to bounce ideas off what you guys know from experience.

I am 5'9 160 lbs. I normally ride a 156, but I hear longer is better in the world of backcountry splitboarding. So how long might you suggest. Secondly I am liking the looks of the Burton S series boards maybe a 162 or 168?? How hard is the hardwear to install on these boards?? How long does it take to go from splitboard to snowboard with bindings and all?? How well would my current Burton snowboard boots work well with the Sparks Igintion II bindings when it comes to skining up the mountain or would my mountaineering boots be a better fit for this application??

I am sure as you answer these questions more will arise so answer at your own risk. ;) Thanks for any insight.

Post subject: Re: Another Splitboard newb!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 am 

Welcome dude. You picked an excellent location to pick up splitting. As a first splitboard and one that will be your only board no matter the terrain or conditions, most would recommend a Burton, Voile Mojo, Venture, Prior Backcountry, or Never Summer. The terrain in Alaska is so different than here in the Sierra that I'd be bullshitting you if I gave you a recommendation. I will tell you that my Burton S Series is my go to board for chutes, trees or anthing else where tight turns are needed. Way easier than my Mojo to get into an orgasmic flow. You're in Alaska though, I imagine you want a big gun. I remember a guy from Alaska that used to post a lot and he couldn't believe how small our boards are in the lower 48.

Hardware is a no brainer, all of it is. If your in a hurry you can transition in less than 3 minutes. A lot of times transitioning is accompanied with eating, embibbing, bragging and other shit so it could take as long as 20-30 minutes.

I'd say most splitboarders where soft snowboarding boots with still a lot (maybe ~15%) passionate about their hardboot set-ups. I'm pretty sure when Zellers and Burt were doing all of the first snowboard decents in Alaska they were wearing hardboots. Same goes for Koch.

The biggest obstacle for most is getting all of the gear, sounds like your close. Pull that trigger :rock:

And don't forget avy training.

alaska_lanche wrote:
Ok so I will be the first to admit I know less than nothing practically when it comes to splitboarding other than I REALLY wanna try it. :D

First off, I have been boarding for over 10 years and really like what the backcountry here in AK has to offer. However, I am sick of snowshoeing and postholeing while watching the skiers cruise up the mountain with relative ease. So that got me thinking of split boarding. I have a decent budget in which to work with so I am looking to bounce ideas off what you guys know from experience.

I am 5'9 160 lbs. I normally ride a 156, but I hear longer is better in the world of backcountry splitboarding. So how long might you suggest. Secondly I am liking the looks of the Burton S series boards maybe a 162 or 168?? How hard is the hardwear to install on these boards?? How long does it take to go from splitboard to snowboard with bindings and all?? How well would my current Burton snowboard boots work well with the Sparks Igintion II bindings when it comes to skining up the mountain or would my mountaineering boots be a better fit for this application??

I am sure as you answer these questions more will arise so answer at your own risk. ;) Thanks for any insight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:13 pm 

i've been up here in alaska 7 years and just bought my 1st split setup this past season. i'm 5'10 and about 190lbs and i got a 165 prior khyber. it floats effortlessly. no more quad burn from riding down the mtn with all your weight on the back leg. all my buddies tele or AT and I had no problem keeping up while skinning up. i did have a little trouble when we'd be coming down and hit a flat spot, but it's still worth it! no trouble with the transition from touring to riding mode. practice makes perfect.

best,
will

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:00 pm 

It just happens there's a Burton split with voile interface on the Anchorage Craigslist for $400 right now! I believe it's a 165, which is probably about perfect if not just a WEE bit shy/short. Go Get It!!! GET IT...and we'll see you out there!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm 

new to the scene as well, I'm Paul been snowboarding for about 21 years now. Now that the rocker/negative camber revolution is taking over they are starting to make pow board more suited to my style of riding (all terain freestyle) with twin rockered splits coming out and Spark R&D in my town it's high time i take into another aspect of my riding.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 pm 

Thanks for the insight guys. So I emailed the guy on craiglist about the splitboard. If this deal doesn't workout, what do you think would suit my needs better a 162 or 168. I like the idea of the extra flotation (both skinning and boarding) in the light and fluffy back country with a 168. However, I also like how the 162 work be a little more responsive to turns and what not. Man, why can't they just make one board, that way I only have the company to blame if I don't like the board length I ordered. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:58 am 

where in AK are you located?

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:27 pm 

If you're from the Mendenhall Valley don't tell Douglas Mafia. You'll never hear the end of it :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:44 am 

I'm in southcenteral AK, Wasilla to be exact.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm 

plenty of goods there at Hatcher's Pa :thumbsup: ss