Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would be your perfect board?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 am 

I was thinking about this tonight. If I could have the perfect splitboard, what would it be? I think I'd like a light board because it's less to carry up the mountain. But then again it a has to be durable which doesn't always go with light. What about the shape? Maybe tapered? Cambered, prolly not?

So what would be your perfect board?

Post subject: Re: What would be your perfect board?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:54 am 

Anything that I could zero out my stance, or keep it around 5deg. I would also like it to be pretty stiff. I'm big so stiff is good. I ride all mountain so I don't need a lot of flex for "park/trick" use. I don't know enough about construction to tell you what I would put inside but it would probably be wood, I wouldn't use foam I know that. I also like my stance set back a bit, I don't need an equal tip/tail length.

The board would also be about a 182/183

Maybe I would have been better off binding my feet as a child.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 am 

I would need two:
1. For technical lines and mountaineering in less than perfect snow, 167 cm long, 26 cm waist, 130 cm edge contact, 25 cm nose, 17 cm tail, 10.5 meter sidecut radius with 1 cm of taper. Medium /stiff flex, with just a very little bit of camber. As light as possible, still having sidewall construction.
2. For good snow, same basic design, but 5 cm more nose length, 172 overall, 26.5 cm waist, with a rockered tip ( rocker from the center of the sidecut forward) and a flat tail.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 pm 

A factory split (not possible, but...) Wasatch Mojo, Swallowtail.... Does it all except ice, but who cares :twocents:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:07 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Wasatch Mojo, Swallowtail....

Who builds these, where do ya get them and do they have a web-presence?
I can't find anything on them...
gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 pm 

Quote:
Who builds these, where do ya get them and do they have a web-presence?

One of the early pioneers in the Utah/board scene (Duane Bush) partnered with some folks who made up about a 100, or so. I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones when he put them on Ebay ($300!!! should of bought two!).
At any rate, I happen to have emailed Duane just last week (because I want to split one) and he said he has no more, but said that Salty Peaks 'might' have one. I imagine if they do they want way too much for it, just as they do with everything else.

A coupla years I was in SP looking at voile's, and the guy at SP says to me "Oh man you better buy one quick, they can't get the cores anymore" WTF? :scratch:

But I digress, no you can't find much on these boards. :cry: There's a couple other's here on splitboard who have these boards (Think one is a Wasatch Wave, which is yellow). Check out the Quiver thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:15 pm 

Something huge..

A custom split with the shape of a Praxis Pow ski, scaled up to be around 29-30 cm at the waist. I think the Lib hammock would be too small. :mrgreen:

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:59 pm 

NS Legacy RC 166. Maybe with some old school graphics like the woolly mammoth or the polar bear. Sponsor me Bentley!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 am 

It would be one with plenty of rocker, taper and a wide nose. More playful and maneuverable in trees, and more speed and float then Burton Fish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:51 am 

mine would be a combination of a couple boards and skis. a 166 with a nose that resembles that of the line ep pro, then regular sidecut with a radius of somewhere around 11, a tiny bit of rocker at the nose, medium camber throughout the rest, a tiny bit of taper, about 25.4 cm at the waist, a stiff flex up front with a medium flex at the tail.

although the board could also ride like crap with the shape of the nose, so i would just be pretty stoked on something just like the current 166 rossi jones, except with a larger sidecut radius.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 am 

For shizzle I'd want rocker so I could go a bit shorter, probably 159, with some MTX as well for those sketchy situations. Maybe a touch of taper, but not a ton. Something really damp w/ a stiff tail to slash. A healthy amount of sidecut for quickness in the trees too. Waist width 25.4. The deal breaker would be having a picture of Chris Farley (RIP) rollerskating in a tutu while hula hooping in front of Mt. Rushmore. F yeah. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 am 

Twin shape, rocker, super fast base like the Burton WFO, magnetraction, easy to slash, low spin weight... basically like my inbounds board but a bit longer for BC use. After riding my Mojo this weekend it was soooo weird having a huge nose. I'm not at all used to riding a big directional board with such a gnarly sidecut. I love my park twins for spinning, the crazy pop, ollieing, etc.

I didn't really feel comfortable pushing it on the Mojo just because I'm so un-used to the shape of it I guess. I suppose the big ass pack might have contributed, but still...

Basically I want an all mountain freestyle twin with some camber that would allow me to ride the same style I ride in bounds, out of bounds.

I'm thinking about that Prior's AMF or maybe getting a Lib Tech TRS or Travis Rice and sending it to monk to get Cut. I guess we gotta see what the budget looks like for next season's boards.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 am 

I really can't imagine 1 perfect board for all the variables we run into. The board that dices up spring crud best probably won't be ideal in mid-winter Montana pow, boiler plate vs heavy mank, steep chutes vs tight trees, the ride vs the climb,,,etc.

Ride a lot & love what ya got :bananas: