Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRIOR: Bakcountry or Spearhead?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:51 am 

Hi folks!
I´m a girl from Austria/EU and decided to stop going uphill by snowshoes but want a split now!!!!! :drool:
I go for big and high mountain tours: sometimes also 1 week (+backpack) and up 4000meters (sorry I don´t know it in ft), powder, glaciers, steep, flat (therefore it has to run very good/fast!),...
I´m an absolutely versatility-fan and want you to ask for my decision!??!
also important is the weight of the board: as low as possible! (the shorter Backc.: 158 is also lighter than the Spearh. 161 or do you think it would be too short-157 and better the 161 BC?)
I don´t know people in Europe that tried both boards so nobody has the comparison: Prior: Backcountry 158 or Spearhead 161??? and I have to buy it "blindly" from oversea!!! :?

me: 127 pounds+backpack: 30 pounds= max. around: 170lb (including : eating+drinking a lot :guinness: +warm cloths)
shoes: 8 and 164cm high (in comparison the boards: 157 or 161cm)
I need it for all conditions!! and not only for powder, most of the times it´s a mix and of course sometimes also icy. I go mostly on tours with skiers (not snowboarders :( ) and sometimes also have to cross in narrow/tight and hard ski-tracks...
please, help me!!!!!!!!! :bow:
another question: is it (1 part/ski) very heavy on your foot after some hours of walking-please I hope some girls can answer me that question? than maybe I better go for a 3-split!?!!

thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
pea!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: PRIOR: Bakcountry or Spearhead?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 am 

I am not a girl, but can confidently say that you should get the backcountry split, and not the Spearhead. The backcountry will be more versatile, and be able to handle every condition you describe very well. The Spearhead excels in powder and other soft conditions, but the long upturned nose will be a liability on hard snow and ice. Do not worry about powder performance with the backcountry, it is still a very good board in the powder. There is one thing you could also do to improve the performance of the backcountry in powder without sacrificing hard snow performance: the backcountry comes with 4 mm of taper standard, Prior will build boards with more taper on a custom order basis-I really like taper, and increasing the taper on a Prior backcountry to 10 mm or so should improve the powder performance. If I ever get another Prior backcountry, I am planning on having them build me one with more taper.
In Austria (you lucky girl) you probably have "big" terrain, so I would suggest getting the longest board that you are comfortable with.
Get psyched, ditching the snowshoes for a split is so much better-you will love it!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/