Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Female rider - What board length do I choose?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Female rider - What board length do I choose?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 pm 

Having always used female-specific gear, I'm wondering if there is anything extra I should take into consideration when choosing a splitboard model or size?

Female rider, 5'8'', 155lbs. I currently ride a Burton 155 Feelgood ES. Riding mostly the coastal terrain in Whistler BC. Conditions range from epic pow to wet and heavy snow.

I'm almost sure I'll be getting the Prior Backcountry model as its best for all-around conditions and better suitable for longer skinning/approaches. I've been told both to go down in length (151) and up (161). I've been riding the groomers for 6 seasons now (4 years on the east coast). I'm not the best when riding in deep pow.. but that could be a factor of not enough experience or not riding the right board. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Female rider - What board length do I choose?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 pm 

How does the 155 feel for all the conditions you use it in? Too long, too short, just right?

ps. Welcome to the site!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:20 pm 

155 has been 20 times better than riding the 150 I had for years. I'm convinced going down in length is not the best move. Rode some shin-deep powder at Mt.Baker a week ago. Board worked pretty smoothly with no real problems.. much better compared to the shorter, stiffer board I had (Nitro 150).

Although increasing the length by only 6cm (to a 161) doesn't seem significant.. I'm afraid I'll have more trouble controlling the turns...especially if the board is stiff. I'm not fond of riding in heavily wooded glades.. but sometimes that's where the good snow is.

Does anyone know if splitboards (especially the Prior Backcountry) are geared to be more on the stiff end compared to normal all-around boards?

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. This is definitely my new favourite website!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 pm 

The Prior BC comes in a 158cm as well. That could be the perfect length. A tad longer than the feelgood but not as much board as the 161cm.

Re flex. Its hard to describe flex. The BC has a nice all around flex and wouldn't call it super stiff but it probably wont be as buttery as the feelgood.

Hope that helps and some other folks chime in as well.

Happy splitting! :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 am 

Looks like I may have to try a demo for both the 158 and 161!

I may ride the 158 a bit better.. but the 161 may likely help for the longer approaches especially when carrying a heavy pack. we made quite a few hut trips and epic approaches last season.

Everyone thinks about the length of the board when going downhill.. but not so much when going up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 am 

BIC99 wrote:
Looks like I may have to try a demo for both the 158 and 161!

I may ride the 158 a bit better.. but the 161 may likely help for the longer approaches especially when carrying a heavy pack. we made quite a few hut trips and epic approaches last season.

Everyone thinks about the length of the board when going downhill.. but not so much when going up!

3cm will make very little difference on the up, it's all about the down!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:39 pm 

If you can demo that should help you decide. I would think the 158 option is the best, similar to what you typically ride but just a little extra length to account for pack weight and what should be deeper snow conditions. I don't know too much about the Prior boards, but a slightly longer board with a deep sidecut and/or tapered tail will let you make quick turns and help in tight trees.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:57 pm 

bcrider wrote:
The Prior BC comes in a 158cm as well. That could be the perfect length. A tad longer than the feelgood but not as much board as the 161cm.

Re flex. Its hard to describe flex. The BC has a nice all around flex and would call it super stiff but it probably wont be as buttery as the feelgood.

Hope that helps and some other folks chime in as well.

Happy splitting! :headbang:

Solid advice right there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:20 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:

Solid advice right there.

Except for my type-o. It should read "wouldn't call it super stiff". :oops:

Another thing for the original poster to consider regarding length is that while you want to account for added weight of pack and deep snow conditions you also want to note that a longer board is going to overall be heavier and accumulate more snow on the topsheet (more weight) while skinning.

Food for thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:30 pm 

Yeah, I got the 'nt part. It just didn't make sense otherwise. Good thing for the edit function...

Still solid advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:33 pm 

the waist width on the Priors get wider with longer boards, so the 58 may have the perfect ww but the 61 may be too wide for you. Something to consider.

That's why the Venture's are great, you can get any length and get the narrow ww and be set.

Venture's are a little stiffer than the Prior's but both are great boards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 pm 

A good rule of thumb is to run a splitboard 5-10 cm than the board you ride in the ski area. (if you're here for the untracked powder) Men and women both.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:09 pm 

I will try getting out there to do some demos. Not easy as Prior doesn't demo their splitboards anymore out of their Whistler location. Some other shops will though...

Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback. It's hard to figure these things out and get advice when there's barely a handful of people out there that are knowledgeable/experienced with the subject.

Of course..its always down to personal comfort and preference. But I appreciated everyone's input.. definitely headed in the right direction..and one step closer to getting the right board for me!