Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another sizing question - Prior Backcountry
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 am 

Sorry to post yet another question on sizing, but I'm torn. I can get a decent deal on a used Prior BC 165, but I'm not sure if it will float me enough. Can anyone describe how this thing rides?
Me: 6'-2" tall around 185 lbs. I lived in Jackson for 3 years and mostly rode a 172 Lib Tech. It was a noodle but I loved it - very forgiving. I live in the front range of Colorado now and ride a 166 NS Legacy and love it too. I just have to be "on it" with this board cause if I'm not it'll smack me down but quick. Being in the front range we have a wide variance of backcountry conditions. I need to be able to maneuver quick in the trees and on the luge exit tracks to some of our local rides, but also don't want to sink when I can find the deep stuff.

I'm thinking a 171 Mojo would probably be a better bet, but as both my wife and I are making the plunge it's getting expensive and I can get the Prior for cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ info...

Post subject: Re: Another sizing question - Prior Backcountry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:19 pm 

I'm ~180 and have a Prior Backcountry 161 I wanted to go 165 but @ $740 complete I couldn't turn the 161 down. I have no float issues untill you start getting onto the shallower slopes. Hear in Juneau we get heavy snow so it's easy to get bogged down (I'm kind of wishing I had gotten a bigger board) Depending on snow conditons where you are i'd probably size up. You may not want to ride low angle stuff but the odds are you'll end up there in your runouts and I'm sure you'd want the extra float. If you've got super dry, light snow than maybe it's not such an issue. I really only have BC expericance with coastal snow pack so I'll let other weigh in on what you need for interior conditions.

Post subject: Re: Another sizing question - Prior Backcountry
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:08 pm 

Go Longer,

I'm in the front range, and ride a Prior 168 split. I am 6'1" and around 170-175 lbs. The 168 is plenty manuverable, even for spring conditions, and I could not imagine going any shorter-in fact, I am now condsidering a second board for winter powder conditions, and am close to pulling the trigger on a Prior split Spearhead in the 178 size. I find that when it comes to deeper snow (and the collapsable rotten stuff we find in the trees around here) the increased float of a longer board actually allows for quicker turning, as the board stays close to the surface and does not get bogged down.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/