Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:46 pm 

I've searched around and am not having much luck, so I guess I'll venture to start a new thread.

I am about 175 lbs, without gear. I plan to do day rides only, in the Rockies (dry snow). I want to take advantage of the deals Voile has on right now but they don't have any 166cm Mojos left. Would I be a fool to buy a 171cm? I currently ride a 163cm Burton Malolo.

Post subject: Re: Weight
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:22 am 

How tall are you? Have you ever felt like your Malolo is too long? Or that it could be longer?

I'm 185 lbs, 6'3" and my resort board is a Malolo 166 and I'd definitely go for a 171. But a few times I've felt like my Malolo was a tad short.

REI.com has some good deals on Voile's.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 am 

i don;t think you'd be a fool, but neither do i think you need a 171 with the various pintails and rockers that are out there. I'd hold on, if i were you. If you're going to drop that kind of cheese on a new split, better make it something you'll love.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:37 am 

Oops. Forgot my cardinal rule. The emoticon :bananas: whenever the word "love" is uttered.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:06 am 

quinnk wrote:
I've searched around and am not having much luck, so I guess I'll venture to start a new thread.

I am about 175 lbs, without gear. I plan to do day rides only, in the Rockies (dry snow). I want to take advantage of the deals Voile has on right now but they don't have any 166cm Mojos left. Would I be a fool to buy a 171cm? I currently ride a 163cm Burton Malolo.

Jones Solution 168 is, well, THE SOLUTION ;) ;)

Buts that's just my humble opinion....

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:26 am 

russman wrote:
quinnk wrote:

Jones Solution 168 is, well, THE SOLUTION ;) ;)

Buts that's just my humble opinion....

When is the solution available to buy? I can't seem to find any info on it at the Jones website. Do I just suck at the internet? :banghead: or is that info not yet released?

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:18 am 

Shift wrote:
When is the solution available to buy? I can't seem to find any info on it at the Jones website. Do I just suck at the internet? :banghead: or is that info not yet released?

It's not available yet (unless you are buddy buddy with JJ himself or your the guy who stole the prototype from the expo). I read it won't be available till next fall.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:46 am 

Unfortunately JJ and myself aren't on speaking terms anymore...or was that ever? can't remember :lol:
I have heard that the boards will be ready in the fall also. I wonder if there will be enough inventory to support the initial wave of sales? Based on the positive reviews I've read and the eagerness by a lot of people (so it seems) to ride that board, I hope they are ready to supply the demand.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:54 am 

I'm sure the high price will quell much of the demand. Jeremy has to pay royalties on at least two patents (splitboard & magnetraction) which means the cost gets push on us. Believe me, I hope it won't be as expensive as Ventures and Priors but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
But I'm also weighing my options for factory made splitboards. I'm been tempted by those $660 Voile's at REI.com too.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:32 pm 

PhishermanPhil wrote:
I'm sure the high price will quell much of the demand. Jeremy has to pay royalties on at least two patents (splitboard & magnetraction) which means the cost gets push on us. Believe me, I hope it won't be as expensive as Ventures and Priors but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
But I'm also weighing my options for factory made splitboards. I'm been tempted by those $660 Voile's at REI.com too.

Does somebody actually own a patent on the "splitboard"??! I mean, its a freaken snowboard sliced into two! At that rate, we should all have to pay royalties for slicing our junk in half! Does Libtech own the patent on Magnatraction?

As for the cost and availability of the Solution, it will be available in the fall at REI and a few other stores, like the Sportsman Chalet in Bellingham. Don't quote me, but I think there will be something like 1000 Jones boards total sent to the US, so I'm not sure how many Solutions there will be...

The end retail will be around $799, although not sure if the Voile kit will come with the board. Personally, I hope it doesn't, because THESE BINDINGS are way higher performance anyway: www.karakorambc.com

Personally, having been the proud owner of a cambered Voile Mojo and having ridden the Solution quite a bit, the extra 140 bucks for the Jones board is BY FAR, BEYOND COMPARISON, worth it when compared to the REI deal on this year's Mojo's.... But that's just me...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:47 am 

i *think* the patent he is referring to is for Voile's binding interface, and not the act of splitting the board in two.

Unless there are 3 patterns Jones has to pay for....?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:53 am 

What I have heard (From Chad the Jones Rep) is that the 799 gets you the board, fish hooks, tail and nose clips. No skins pucks touring brackets heel lifters plates or sparks you gotta buy those on your own. Russ pointed out that Karokoram is comming out with their system in the fall, One could buy the Jones and the karakoram system and then you would have all the new shit

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:39 pm 

if you have an idea, you patent it and sell it to others. voile bought the splitboard patent/license back in the later 90's....so they charge out the license. just like mervin, they charge out the license for their invention, mag. it allows them the decision as well to decide what kind of product reps their companies. it's all written in the us patent agreement law stuff.

look for new companies this year for sure, and adjustments to the current ones. i'm pretty excited actually.

:thatrocks: