Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK Splitboarder needs help with first splitboard choice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:28 am 

First of all thanks for having a look at this post and for any responses.

I am UK based looking for a first splitboard. I have about 18 years boarding experience and have been touring with my board and snowshoes for the past 5 years. I am an all mountain rider, love the powder but understand that it makes up about 20% of my riding. The rest is trees where I can get them and all the rest of the usual mountain conditions, (Crud, hard pack etc). I usually end up in some steep and narrow couloir where the turn has to be spot or a very long fall will result I avoid pistes as much as possible!!

I am looking for a board that will go uphill ok, be stiff and hold a good edge and perform well in all conditions. From this I think my choice list is now either the Prior Khyber or Prior Spearhead. Am happy to consider others but was trying to keep this brief.

Please can any one with experience of riding either of these let me know what you think of them.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Charlie

Post subject: Re: UK Splitboarder needs help with first splitboard choice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:45 am 

I think both the khyber and the spearhead are very powder specific. You probably want a board with some taper, but not as much as they have.

Most people like the voile mojo as a balanced do-all board. It's got some powder oriented features but doesn't compromise the other aspects.

Note that I haven't tried any of the three.

Where do you ride?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:04 am 

I agree with nothingmuch on the Mojo, it’s a great all mountain board. And the cost looks good when compared to most other manufacturers.

Another board to consider is the Prior Backcountry. It’s nice and stiff with a freeride/All-Mtn shape. With less taper then the Khyber and Spearhead, it’s more of a do it all board. However, it is a little more costly then the Mojo. I rode the 161 version last season and have no complaints.

I think you'll be happy on either of those boards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:44 am 

Hi guys

Thanks for the quick responses. I ride in the Alps, mainly switzerland (Zermatt, Andermatt, Verbier, Engleberg etc.) Am planning lots of touring in St Anton in late Jan and then a general Alp tour wherever the snow is good in early feb for 3 weeks.

I am looking for a stiff board, Does the Mojo = stiff? I got the impression from another couple of threads that it was at the more flexible end of the spectrum. Haven't laid eyes on one so I don't know. Defo happy to consider the back country as well as it seems like a more balanced all mountain board.

Another issue for me is $ or more accurately £.. It is cheaper for me to buy a prior from Canada and import it than it is to buy a mojo from the European distributor. Although I note that it would be cheaper again to buy the Mojo in USA/Canada.

I am 180cm tall and just the fair side of 100kg (5'10 220lb) Was thinking 165 Khyber or 172 Spearhead. What do you reckon in Mojo or Backcountry terms?

C

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:56 am 

I will be in Chamonix all season, if you are by there drop a line. I should have some crashspace too.

About the sizing - I'd say 166 or 171 makes sense. Probably more like the khyber than the spearhead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 pm 

I just ordered a Prior Backcountry 161. It hasn't arrived yet but I should have a TR by the end of the weekend and I'll be happy to let you know how it rides. I would think that @220lbs you should defiantly look a ~168-172. If you end up going powder specific like the kyber you could go sorter because of the extreme taper. As far as the cheapest purchasing method, it depends on your exchange rate. I ordered direct from the factory in Canada and saved a bundle because the US dollar is at a 3 year high vs. the Canadian Dollar. So if you your currency is at a good rate you'll be set.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:40 pm 

His currency is at an awful rate! GBP1=USD1.53. Urg. Not a good time to be British with a taste for foreign holidays and international shopping!

Charles, counting me and me only, the Mojo is the UK freesplitters' board of choice. Although I bought mine for an expedition where I wanted cheap and light.

I reckon the spearhead is what I'd go for given another crack. Never ridden it though!You're supposed to buy it long and I'm guessing:
when it's deep, the nose gives you float;
when it's choppy/tracked, the nose smooths things out;
when it's hard packed , the nose stays off the snow and leaves you with a short effective edge to get your groove on, and doesn't slow things down when it's really steep*.

No one who's actually ridden the board seems to agree with all of this, apparently it's a board that's specifically good for soft snow. But hey, what do they know?*

Prior backcountry is less powder-specific than the Mojo and a bit heavier. Less taper and less sidecut - easier skinning, carves longer turns, more stable when you're really going for it, less float for the length* I'd still be tempted to go for one from a classic, purist, rider makes the difference point of view.*

My preferred option (but admittedly $$$$$) option would be to get a Swell Panik Global and send it to monk151.

* ready, willing and expecting to be shot down in flames by people who actually know stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:59 pm 

Nah dude, what your saying makes sense.

I'll give you an update on the 166 Spearhead as soon as we get enough snow on the east side of the Canadian Rockies to let me take it out.

As for Prior BC sizing... I'm 5'-7.5" and 165 lbs, the 161 was good for most days, but would have prefered something a little longer when things got deep.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:02 pm 

£ to Canadian Dorrar isn't so bad at the mo (obviously, given peacefrog's commments)

And the Mojo is pretty stiff. Side-by-side hand flexy, it's noticeably stiffer then a 166 Salomon Burner, but that doesn't take into account how much effect the split down the middle has when you're actually riding. Time for more of these: *****

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:04 pm 

Quote:

1st time for everything!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:24 pm 

mrash wrote:

I'll give you an update on the 166 Spearhead as soon as we get enough snow on the east side of the Canadian Rockies to let me take it out.

As for Prior BC sizing... I'm 5'-7.5" and 165 lbs, the 161 was good for most days, but would have prefered something a little longer when things got deep.

I might be in trouble-I ordered the 161 and I'm 5'-9" and 180lbs :puke:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 am 

Thanks all for your help, I have gone for a 172 spearhead, Maple design.

I thought about this choice a lot, (probably too much LOL) and have decided that when I go touring it is to find the POW so am going for a POW oriented board. I have a 161 Palmer crown that I will use for days when the vis is down and we are playing in the trees. I figure that I can't lose this way as if this board is a bit much to handle on the days when the snow is less than perfect I will just have to get another :D

Oh well, you can't take it with you when you go HA HA

See you all out there

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:56 am 

Hi Charlie,

Would you mind posting a short (or long :D ) trip report when you get back? St Anton is a possibility for next year. So far I've hired a splitboard in Canada for a day, and all other hiking/touring has been done on snowshoes. Finances allowing, I'm looking to buy a Mojo for next year and we (a mix of randonee skiers/telemarkers and me) are looking to do a lot more backcountry next winter and probably some spring touring too.

Beta on St Anton would be much appreciated, especially from a splitboarders point of view...

Thanks very much (would love to hear how the Prior goes, come to that).

Emma (UK)