Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: east coast overnight splitboard
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:19 pm 

So I am trying to decide on a splitboard for use in the east coast backcountry.

My idea is that I would like to use it on overnight weekend and extended trips. I would ski into some areas around the Adirondaks, white mountains, and other areas as I learn what is available.

This would also be used on trips out west as well.

I weigh 140, am 5'9" tall. I am considering the voile mojo because $850 sounds good. What size should I consider for my weight as well as an approximately 50lb pack with my tent, clothing, food, fuel, etc.
Right now I ride a 157 if that helps at all

Thanks,

Colin

Post subject: Re: east coast overnight splitboard
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:40 pm 

I will assume that your skinning weight will be higher than your riding weight (i.e. drop most of your pack contents at base camp before you head up for turns). The 161 would be sufficient for anything that you want to do on the east coast, and shorter is better due to the unavoidability of trees. Out west (Utah) , you could stand to use a 166 Mojo, but if you aren't packing a heavy pack on the skin track, a 161 might do as well. Sp, if you can avoid massive packs in crazy powder, I think the 161 Mojo will be a good choice.

For reference, I ride a 166 Split Decision, and weigh 160lb, 5' 11". Out west , my 166 is perfect for me without a heavy pack. In New England trees, it is doable, but longer than I would prefer.

I'm sure others will disagree. :thumpsup:

Hope this helps,
Shep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:53 pm 

I agree for the size... but also need to remind that it's also a matter of personnal preferences... I like long boards... and at 180lbs, i ride a 171... Of course, a 160 Fish is better in deep powder between the trees... but for a "regular" board, i think longer is better... (i have to admit that i almost grabbed a 166 Mojo... but was scared it wouldn't float right...)

Hope you find what you're looking for!

PS: at 140, the 161 will be perfect... my friend just picked up one... the "blue" one (a size down) was way too small for his weight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:05 pm 

have you considered a sled for skinning to wherever you plan on setting camp? it seems like it would be a better idea if you plan on hauling in 50 lbs worth of gear.

i'd say the 161 would be a good size for you, any longer than that would just be a bit unwieldy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:14 pm 

grubbers wrote:
have you considered a sled for skinning to wherever you plan on setting camp? it seems like it would be a better idea if you plan on hauling in 50 lbs worth of gear.

i'd say the 161 would be a good size for you, any longer than that would just be a bit unwieldy.

+1 on the sled and the board.

I'm 235lbs. and I ride a 171 Mojo. No float problems at all out here in the Tetons and surrounding area.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 pm 

the sled is a great idea. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

How would one attach the sled? Rig up some sort of harness? Use my climbing harness and then rig a harness for the sled?

So it sounds like the 161 is the way to go.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:17 am 

I believe there are plans on the internet. different methods have different advantages. I've never used one, but I'm tempted to take a backpack waist-belt and attach rigid rods that cross in an X and go back to the front of the sled. Some people just use a drag-bag instead of a sled.

Shep