Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on a Bataleon splitboard?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:29 pm 

I wasn't sure if this belonged here, or in the DIY forum... but anyway here it goes...

Anyone know of Bataleon snowboards? They have this triple base technology (TBT) where the base is angled up 3degrees sort of from the bindings up towards the tip and tail, right around the effective edge...

I was thinking that a home made split bataleon might actually inititate a turn better than a regular flat based boarddue to this rolled base? Riding my home mad Burton code split this September made me realise how much the splitboard affects the intitation of a turn - (probably not an issue in POW?? havent tried it in nice snow yet)

I think maybe the rolled base may reduce the surface area touching the snow when skinning, potentially giving some advantage there?

If anyone would like to be a fellow massive board nerd and enter this discussion you might want to cruise over to the Bataleon site just in case i have explained TBT incorrectly.

Cheers. G*

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bataleon splitboard?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 pm 

I haven't taken out a Bataleon board yet. I have heard good things about the triple base tech though. It's supposed to be retardedly fun to ride. It could make a fun split, though I don't know if there would be any advantage to it, being that your are mostly riding bc conditions.

Not sure about you statement on the splitboard effecting the turn initiation. Every split I've ridden pretty much feels and turns like every other snowboard I've ridden. Albeit a bit heavier. I've had no problems with initiating turns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 pm 

Hey Killclimbz...

I guess its the weight that I found was hurting my turn intiation... I kinda thought the Bataleon TBT might counteract this... As you lean the board onto the edge you don't have to force into shape.. its already there. ?

I think you may be right though... I'm not sure that there would be advantages in BC riding.. although similarly to a rocker board the company line is that you can ride shorter boards in powder as the TBT gives more float?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm 

I am not sure about the more float thing either. Unlike a lot of other new tech boards, I haven't had a chance to take one of these boards on snow. I have a couple of buds who have and they really liked one of the Bataleon models. "Fun" was the word most used to describe it. I think it could very well be a fun board to have as a split. Who knows, it might be a real kick with that tech making turns in deep pow. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

If you felt the weight thing was draggin' your turn response a bit, I bet the triple base would make that a lot easier. Overall, I just haven't had a problem with that aspect. I think the first run on my first split was the only time I kind of noticed the weight. After that things were just fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:09 am 

I'm thinking a Bataleon Enemy would be pretty fkng sick as a split, since it's a very, very torsionally stiff board, has an aggressive sidecut, and is durable as hell (all Bataleons are - really).

Either that or an Undisputed 167.

I've been on a lot of Bataleons the past few years, and what Killclimbz says rings true. They are fun! Long noses, a nice tall shovel, providing float, while the TBT provides extremely good edgehold, at least on the stiffer models. Turn initiation is also a lesser task than on regular based snowboards. In my opinion, TBT is a lot better in icy conditions than MTX once you get used to it.

I say do it.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 pm 

Good to hear some positive feedback on the Bataleons.

I'm gonna look into it more...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:08 am 

Hey Groovstar,

I'm wondering if you ever split your Bataleon?

I'm thinking of doing a DIY job on my Jam and was wondering how/if yours worked out. The main thing I'm curious about is how well the skins stick to the triple base?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:36 pm 

Hi there,
I'll use this thread resurrection to come out from my long term lurking here as I can actually contribute something useful for once!

I'm riding a 2011 Bataleon Goliath (before they made it a more freestyle oriented board) that I split. Wouldn't have been my first choice of board but I happened to have one lying around which needed some major edge repair and not enough budget for anything else!

Skins stick fine to the TBT, i get a little bit of snow going under around the contact points where the TBT is most pronounced if im traversing a lot but I've also seen that happen to non TBT boards.

My main issue is edge hold. When I first got the board I really liked it but after a season on a different board (flat camber Ride) and having improved my snowboarding a lot i now find its really washy. Really hard to get properly on edge and even harder to keep it there. Obviously this wouldnt be a problem in powder but on anything where you want to actually carve its horrible.
This also means serious instability in dodgy conditions. I had a very scary slide down an icy couloir last month after my edge washed out at the top. To be fair it was really icy hard pack that I shouldn't have been riding but I found myself in a situation where it was that or downclimb with only 1 axe and riding seemed the better option. I am still partly blaming it on the TBT though. I've also had times in less dangerous situations where my edge has washed out unexpectedly and i've thought "that wouldnt have happened on a regular board".

As for float in powder we havn't had any serious deep fluffy stuff while i've been here in Iceland but i really can't see the science behind why it would float better than regular camber. I havn't had any problems with it but then its quite a big board for me - i've also ridden a 158 burton custom and a 156 k2 fastplant in powder without any issues!

So if you're already confident riding the board you have then splitting it wont kill it so go for it, but as far as im concerned TBT is great fun for jibbing (boardslides like a skateboard!) and maybe acceptable in powder or if you only do slarves (but then why not just a get a full rocker?) but for the variable conditions i often encounter in my snowboarding its useless to downright dangerous! Switching to a new board as soon as I can afford to.

Happy to chuck up some pics of the board with skins on if you want though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 am 

Thanks for the feedback Kahti,

I've been pretty happy with the Jam on most surfaces, edges could do with a tune but I've never had them wash out, it's a fair bit stiffer than the Goliath which might affect the edge hold? I find it mega-fun for getting some carve on. I'm gonna go ahead and split it, can't really justify buying a factory split when I've got perfectly good boards I don't use lying around.

If you've got some pics of it that'd be great. Did you use the Voile kit?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:43 am 

Yes I used the voile pucks and clips but put afterburners on them so didnt buy the full kit. Installation was easy enough. I didn't have a skill saw so i ended up freehanding it with a jigsaw. despite what people have said on here its totally doable if you're used to using a jigsaw and have a steady hand. I recently saw a burton factory split with much worse fit than my board! Apart from that pretty standard DIY. gflex epoxy in the tnut holes and for fixing the edge blowout (well worth spending the extra money on gflex) and urethane varnish on the inside edge. As mentioned in other posts use a forstner bit for tnuts if you have one. only part i found a PITA was riveting the tip clips as a didnt have a ball pein hammer and finding a place to rest the tips on while hammering onto a coin is hard!

Anyway took some photos yesterday...

Skins on...

Hopefully you can see its all stuck on pretty well both outside and inside edge...

Ready to go!

After a few hours of skinning some snow has forced its way in around the contact points, this was really wet slush and after a lot of traversing though. Didn't find it affected my grip and only pushes the skins off the edge of the board.

Back in ride mode...

Edge blowout repair visible down the bottom, has held up well for the last 3 months of abuse. gflex FTW!

and just because it was such perfect day i have to share it - the results of all that skinning...

somehow i forgot to take a pic of the bottom of the board with skins on, but theres not much to see there, just looks like any other split!