Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on a Bataleon splitboard?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:29 pm 

I wasn't sure if this belonged here, or in the DIY forum... but anyway here it goes...

Anyone know of Bataleon snowboards? They have this triple base technology (TBT) where the base is angled up 3degrees sort of from the bindings up towards the tip and tail, right around the effective edge...

I was thinking that a home made split bataleon might actually inititate a turn better than a regular flat based boarddue to this rolled base? Riding my home mad Burton code split this September made me realise how much the splitboard affects the intitation of a turn - (probably not an issue in POW?? havent tried it in nice snow yet)

I think maybe the rolled base may reduce the surface area touching the snow when skinning, potentially giving some advantage there?

If anyone would like to be a fellow massive board nerd and enter this discussion you might want to cruise over to the Bataleon site just in case i have explained TBT incorrectly.

Cheers. G*

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bataleon splitboard?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 pm 

I haven't taken out a Bataleon board yet. I have heard good things about the triple base tech though. It's supposed to be retardedly fun to ride. It could make a fun split, though I don't know if there would be any advantage to it, being that your are mostly riding bc conditions.

Not sure about you statement on the splitboard effecting the turn initiation. Every split I've ridden pretty much feels and turns like every other snowboard I've ridden. Albeit a bit heavier. I've had no problems with initiating turns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 pm 

Hey Killclimbz...

I guess its the weight that I found was hurting my turn intiation... I kinda thought the Bataleon TBT might counteract this... As you lean the board onto the edge you don't have to force into shape.. its already there. ?

I think you may be right though... I'm not sure that there would be advantages in BC riding.. although similarly to a rocker board the company line is that you can ride shorter boards in powder as the TBT gives more float?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm 

I am not sure about the more float thing either. Unlike a lot of other new tech boards, I haven't had a chance to take one of these boards on snow. I have a couple of buds who have and they really liked one of the Bataleon models. "Fun" was the word most used to describe it. I think it could very well be a fun board to have as a split. Who knows, it might be a real kick with that tech making turns in deep pow. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

If you felt the weight thing was draggin' your turn response a bit, I bet the triple base would make that a lot easier. Overall, I just haven't had a problem with that aspect. I think the first run on my first split was the only time I kind of noticed the weight. After that things were just fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:09 am 

I'm thinking a Bataleon Enemy would be pretty fkng sick as a split, since it's a very, very torsionally stiff board, has an aggressive sidecut, and is durable as hell (all Bataleons are - really).

Either that or an Undisputed 167.

I've been on a lot of Bataleons the past few years, and what Killclimbz says rings true. They are fun! Long noses, a nice tall shovel, providing float, while the TBT provides extremely good edgehold, at least on the stiffer models. Turn initiation is also a lesser task than on regular based snowboards. In my opinion, TBT is a lot better in icy conditions than MTX once you get used to it.

I say do it.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 pm 

Good to hear some positive feedback on the Bataleons.

I'm gonna look into it more...