Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is 1stBoardMania out of Indonesia Legit????
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 pm 

I'm new to the splitboard.com forum and i've been pricing splits. i came across a thread for 1stboardmania out of indonesia that has decent prices for 2008 prior khyber split($955 shipped to alaska). i'm wondering if that's the real deal or a "pirated" board?? any ideas?

i've been checking craigs list and doing google searches religiously trying to find my first split setup. if anybody has any leads. i'm 5'10 and 185 lbs. i ride a 160cm board inbounds, so i'm thinking the split should be 165-172cm?

kind regards,
will
alaska

Post subject: Re: Is 1stBoardMania out of Indonesia Legit????
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:05 pm 

Welcome--thats a pretty good deal but I'd be skeptical. You should be able to find as good a deal from someone or a North American store if you stay patient. You barely missed a lot of the 2008 clearance deals from REI, Backcountry.com and others. There's plenty of good used boards to be had as well. You'll be stoked on splitting, I can tell you that for sure. :rock: :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:15 pm 

Welcome AP, 8)

I saw your post of the backcountryworld site. You're right that you typically size up a little when getting a split since you'll mainly be in powder. You're also right that you typically size down a little when looking at a board like the Khyber. Its sorta confusing.

The reason for sizing down the Khyber is due to the tapered shape. It has so much taper and such a large nose that it makes up for the lack of length.

Hope that helps a little.

As for that site, not sure but I'd agree with eco.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 pm 

hey check out outdoorgearswap.com. Its from mountain equipment coop in canada, but they have some sweet deals on occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:06 pm 

1stboardmania is a scam. I sent them money via western union, and they just kept my money and sent nothing. They do not reply to my emails and are nothing but scammers. Don't make the mistake of ordering from them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:54 pm 

sorry to hear about that. i spoke to the rep at prior and she warned me that it was probably a scam, so i ended up buying a prior khyber off of craigs list here in alaska.

w

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 am 

scam for sure. they are offering voile boards that haven't been in production for at least two seasons. plus they are not a voile dealer so i'm not sure how they would get the gear.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:15 pm 

Quote:
sorry to hear about that. i spoke to the rep at prior and she warned me that it was probably a scam, so i ended up buying a prior khyber off of craigs list here in alaska.

Thanks. Luckily I only sent them $125 as they had told me I could send half up front. I figured it was a scam but was willing to risk the 125. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to prevent others from making the same mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:23 pm 

As a general rule, unless the source is known to be reputable using western union, money orders, or any similar money transfer online is risky.

This is because it's impossible to trace the transaction, and there are no guarantees whatsoever.

On the other hand, if you use your credit card, that transaction is probably insured and you can cancel it retroactively if you got scammed. It's a hassle, but you can usually get your money back without too much trouble.

Be similarly weary of giving your credit card details to any online store without an SSL certificate (check for a lock icon), and don't email or IM your credit card. An SSL certificate means that the website has been verified by some sort of verification company, and is probably legitimate.

Some card companies also have single use numbers, that you can get online on a per transaction basis, for even more security. This protects your credit card in the event that you bought something at a reputable business, but then their servers were hacked and the card numbers were stolen.

Good luck