Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior Spearhead
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:42 pm 

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the off season pricing and picking up a new split for next year. I've pretty much made up my mind on the Prior Spearhead. Seems pretty well suited to the Canadian Rockies.

I'm 5'-7.5", 170lbs. I'm seriously considering the 161, but I'm still a little tempted to go with the 166 given the shape of the nose.

Any owners/testers out there with some advice?

Cheers!
S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:03 pm 

just out of curiousity, where are you finding good offseason prices at? i've been scouring but haven't seen much at a screaming deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 am 

I definitely wouldn't buy the 161, but maybe you are looking for a different kindof board... Based on the large setback, small amount of taper, and soft nose, I'd buy a spearhead ~3-6 cm longer than a "traditional" board like the backcountry or a voile split decision. Basically the spearhead does with extra length what the khyber, mojo, or NS summit does with extra nose width.

When I rode the spearhead, the length and super soft nose were great for getting up on top of the snow faster than anything else around. This is definitely a quiver board (even in Utah), but if you go long, you'll be playing to it's strengths. (For reference, I rode a 171, and I'm 165, 5'11")

Good luck,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:49 pm 

Prior just sent out an email with sale prices - ending 6/20

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/whistler ... r-sale.php

most other places cleared everything out last month. REI had some splitters at their winter clearance for about 10 minutes!

Another trick: if you can find stuff at Backcountry outlet, you can get the "mised it" SAC deal on any item. append this string to the end of the item's URL and you'll get 40% discount (assuming the markdown isnt already 40%) :)

?COUP=15H%2d1%2dAW5VU&AID=10432595&PID=2144904&CMP=AFC%2dCJPromo&ATT=SACATTACK

Like this Burton - already 30% off, but that little trick above will take another $60 off the price. - $360 no tax, no shipping

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet ... =SACATTACK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 pm 

Yeah, I heard about the screaming REI deal a bit after the fact :?

Thanks for the secret squirrel code, that just may come in handy...

Are you the same deejoyah from Seattle Bubble?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:09 pm 

one in the same! my gravatar is a shot from a trip to Las Lenas

Between real estate blogging and snowboarding, I hardly have time to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:58 pm 

Hey Shep - Appreciate the info, I actually did go with the 166 over the 161.

If your willing to absorb shipping costs, check out:

Boarderline/Sturtevants in Seattle
http://www.sturtevants.com/

Salty Peaks
http://www.saltypeaks.com/catalog/index.php

1st Board Mania
http://www.1stboardmania.com/

The Backcountry - Tahoe (These guys seemed really good)
http://www.thebackcountry.net/cart/home.php

All these places had boards discounted for different amounts, but didn't carry the spearhead in the size I wanted.

I ended up purchasing my board direct from Prior from the sale posted by deejayoh.

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:00 pm 

HEY! I used to work at Boarderline back in the day when it was right across the street from Bellevue Square.

Post subject: Re: Prior Spearhead
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:03 pm 

1stboardmania is a scam. I sent them money via western union (as they said I could send half up front) and then when they got it they said, no you have to send the whole amount. THey told me they would refund my money but as of now they will not reply to my emails and have not sent the money. Don't make the mistake of ordering from them. Luckily they only got me for $150.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:09 pm 

You're surprised they are a scam? Here's their about us

"1stBoardMania.Com Online Store was formed in May 2007 and has been privately owned ever since.

The company combines vision and innovation with the ability to adapt complex technologies into a home use.

These characteristics make it one of the leading suppliers.

1stBoardMania.Com Online Store products are developed by an eminent international team of marketing, as well as the ability to meet the requirements of both home and larger company.

These features, together with the reliability of the company in terms of service and support, are one of the main reasons many of the currently principal OEMs and the manufacturers are collaborating with Us.

Excellent service combined with above-average user friendliness make Our solutions stand out from the products of competitors. 1stBoardMania.Com Online Store has its headquarters in Medan and could quickly secure its position in the Sumut, Indonesia and international market."

No mention of them being riders, etc. etc. As a matter of personal policy I don't deal with any online vendors that aren't in the US - and were I took to biz w/ an international one it sure wouldn't be based in China or India. Hope you get your money back, but hopefully lesson learned as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 pm 

mfraisse wrote:
1stboardmania is a scam. I sent them money via western union (as they said I could send half up front) and then when they got it they said, no you have to send the whole amount. THey told me they would refund my money but as of now they will not reply to my emails and have not sent the money. Don't make the mistake of ordering from them. Luckily they only got me for $150.

Welcome to the site mfraisse and sorry to hear about that story. Good thing you had the inclination to only send a portion of the funds. Scammers suck! :thumbsdown:

Here's hoping you still get a split and have a great year!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:35 pm 

Just picked up this new toy from Prior:

Spankin' new 166 Spearhead with G3 dual hight heel lifters. Wasn't planning in getting a new board this season as my NS has been bomber but then the Spark Ignition II's only come in red and I couldn't deal with the red clashing with my blue board so I had to get a new powder tool. :wink:

That and Prior gave me a killer deal on it straight from the factory. Would have probably liked the 172 but at the deal I got on this I'm sure it will work out. On high danger deep days where I will most likely reach for the SH I often find myself playing in the trees anyway so the 166 should do just fine. And I'm sure it will have planty of float for the deep stable days too. I'll keep the NS Titan for firmer roudy days.

Looking forward to it, all we need is some more pow now.

UB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:04 pm 

nice looking ride, congrats.