Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lightest split out there.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:05 pm 

I am looking for some input as to which is the lightest split out there.

Currently I ride a Burton S 170 with the old hardware interface. I like the board, and it rides fairly well for me, mainly because I suck anyways, so I am not that demanding.

But it is really heavy when I compare it to my resort board which is a Palmer Honeycomb 156.

Is there any splits out there that are as light as a Honeycomb? Or should I just consider DIY splitting the Honeycomb and call it good?

I have tried to shed the weight by using clickers instead of strap bindings, which is fine in spring and summer, but clog horribly in powder making clicking in almost a nightmare. Yet it is still way heavy.

Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:19 pm 

Everything is heavy relative to normal gear, but the Prior Carbon boards or the Mojo are the lightest currently. Grab a pair of Will's Spark bindings to get close (or beat) the mass of your current setup without the problems getting clogged up.

Shep

Post subject: lightest split
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:40 pm 

I have the Carbon split Powstick 172 it comes in at 7.69 lbs weight includes Voile mounting bracket ,tip clip ,heel lifters and Chinese hooks and with Will's prototype bindings and and the pucks it is just 13lbs Now that Prior has got rid of the top sheet they are by far the lightest for now and the carbon looks very F1 cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm 

Shep wrote:
Everything is heavy relative to normal gear, but the Prior Carbon boards or the Mojo are the lightest currently. Grab a pair of Will's Spark bindings to get close (or beat) the mass of your current setup without the problems getting clogged up.

Shep

Thats kind of what I figured. All that extra hardware required to make it a functional split has a serious weight penalty.

Now, These spark bindings, I looked at the site (spark R&D) and they look super cool, yet that is practically useless in my situation because it seems they are geared toward the Voile interface. I still ride the older Burton interface with the crescent clips/flower power or whatever they are called discs. I suppose I could try and cobble something up, and fit the voile system. I suppose I should lurk around the DIY section to see if anyone has had success doing that. Eventually I am going to have to do it when I no longer can repair the Burton interface.

Post subject: Re: lightest split
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:56 pm 

yoda13 wrote:
I have the Carbon split Powstick 172 it comes in at 7.69 lbs weight includes Voile mounting bracket ,tip clip ,heel lifters and Chinese hooks and with Will's prototype bindings and and the pucks it is just 13lbs Now that Prior has got rid of the top sheet they are by far the lightest for now and the carbon looks very F1 cool

13 pounds?!?! Thats a whole two pounds off the Burton set up @ 15# 1oz. But thats not with the clickers. Hmmmmm...

It still seems like alot of weight compared to my palmer @ 8# 7.6 oz. But then again, it's a honeycomb with clickers on it.... And a shorter board too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:30 pm 

Wow - that's really light for a 172 with strap bindings! Nice setup.

Otto - check for some posts by TEX and a few other people. Some people were able to do it without drilling too many holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 am 

I think I am running the lightest setup so far. I have the Mojo w/ the prototype top sheet, Mtn. Plates and my Scarpa Lasers. Don't know the weight yet but it is feels almost weightless in comparison to my past set ups. This new Mojo is so nice. Surfs better than last season's prototype. Still skins as well. Significant float for an all mountain shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:51 pm 

split.therapy wrote:
I think I am running the lightest setup so far. I have the Mojo w/ the prototype top sheet, Mtn. Plates and my Scarpa Lasers. Don't know the weight yet but it is feels almost weightless in comparison to my past set ups. This new Mojo is so nice. Surfs better than last season's prototype. Still skins as well. Significant float for an all mountain shape.

Yep, one of the lightest setups, you have. I have a Unity Dominion (mentioned this in another thread) which is fairly light by split standards. It weighed less than my buddies Mojo but your mountain plate may turn the table.

I suggest getting the best board for you and buy some really light weigh bindings and boots. Ride has some pretty light bindings and 32 has the lightest boots made. Unless you want AT boots which changes the feel of the ride. My 32 Focus Boa boots were lighter than the AT boots my skiing buddies wore and the Focus isn't even the lightest boot they make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:20 pm 

I've lightened my set up even further by switching to a pair of Scarpa Spirit 3's. Much lighter than my Laser's. They surf much better than any of my soft boot or hard boot set ups so far. When in "walk" mode. I haven't needed to lock the cuffs yet. Still dumping here. I think my prototype Mojo is lighter than the stock Mojo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm 

Thought this was pretty good - 162cm Arbor A-Frame I'm putting together for a guy back east - weighs in at 7lbs 11oz as you see it....

I think it's a little lighter than the mojo.

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:49 pm 

the lightes split i ever build - is a 161 2 pice tapertail board.
(board and pucks+ voile hard wear 3,3kg)

no edges in the cuting line , no top sheat - only a coulured resin.
top and upperbelt with 0 line carbon stringers + 650 g glassfiber 0 -45 +45 core pappel + 2 stringer äsche .
out side edges only on the running line .
voile splitkits pucks with spax , only inserts for the touring brackeds 2x3 .

this is the way .

the secret is no ultra light - honny comp . strong belt s and full wood core ... the core thikness

the light - one pice board is good for riding a season as a one pice... on track as a splitt the live time is 0 .....

@ monk.....

the dimension , and xx material = is the wight of the board

a finger board is lighter than a real snowboard....
a selv made split is all time lighter in the same dimension as a factory split - you now it.... ( light boards NIEDERCKER MEGGALIGHT usw. )

- you must see the diferents in side ....

volie goes the right way - with the cap construction - abs is havy than wood .
carbonfiber is light - expensive... 100% cabon is stupid..a mix is the top.

your DIY split looks good on the pictures ... but it is only a half egg ...

burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 pm 

burton - always a pleasure hearing from you :D and you even said 'it looks good in the picture'!!! I think that's the first compliment I've ever seen you post :wink:

....but your wrong about one thing - it's an omelette 8)