Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First impressions of Lib Tech TRS w/banana and magne
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:29 pm 

This isn't a split but I thought some of you might be interested in the performance of Lib Tech's banana technology. I've been wanting a reverse-cambered snowboard since the spatulas came out, as the shape seems even more conducive to the surf-style of snowboarding.

(Me: normally 162 Smokin A-team, 173 split decision, 5'9 150lb)

I didn't trust the skate banana as solid enough for all-mountain but when I saw the TRS with magne and banana (159, longest they had) I had to get one. The LT rep had a banana hammock too, but I couldn't afford both. I finally trusted the snow as deep enough to risk the new baby this past weekend (White Pass, WA).

It felt maybe a slightly bit different on the cat track at first, not really unstable but obviously more contact between my feet than I was used to. This is in part an effect of magne-traction I'm sure. Racing down a steep narrow cat track though on my first run when I went to scrub some speed, the board carved instead and I almost went flying off the mountain. Didn't take too long to adjust to this though.

Once in powder, it was home. I don't think I could have made the nose sink if I wanted to, and the responsiveness was really insane. Just thinking about a change of direction made it happen. It definitely gave me way more control in trees than I've ever experienced before.

Pop for ollies was no problem, and the spinning was sooo much easier than my current Smokin or any recent boards I can remember (including other 159s). The same effort that would normally give me a 180 or 270 definitely sent me to 360 or more. The stability for buttering was definitely increased, but it's still work (not completely effortless). I did find myself coming out of 180s on long nose-rides though.

Really though, this thing is a machine in powder, and gives ridiculous control in very tight and very steep powder conditions (trees and chutes). Off some drops in the 10-15 foot range the landings were very stable and the board resurfaced quickly.

I definitely hit some rocks working my way into some chutes that I expected to leave deep gashes, but I had no signs of wear after the weekend at all.

I let me brother-in-law ride it for a couple runs, a skier who maybe boards 3-5 days a year for maybe 20 total in his life, and he absolutely loved it. He said it made everything easier for him.

I don't know if anyone has split one yet, but I imagine there will be the same issues reverse camber skis have for skinning.

I'm sold. Try one.

Post subject: Cool...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:04 pm 

When I heard about Lib's reverse camber stuff I wasn't sure how it would translate to everyday snowboarding. I mean, I can see the benefits in full on pow fests, but for mixed conditions, or even firm snow, had me a bit worried..

So, is the TRS kind of an all-mountain freeride compared to the Banana Hammock being a dedicated pow stick, or? Just not familiar with LIb's current line up...

- Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:21 am 

I'm sure others know more, but the lib rep said the skate banana is primarily a park board, very soft. The TRS is stiffer and much more all mountain. Stiffness doesn't seem bad, but I think it'll be nice to have some of their stiffer models with reverse camber soon.

The banana hammock didn't feel very stiff either, but maybe a bit stiffer than the skate. Could be wrong.

I think the reverse side-cut is supposed to give some trouble out of powder, but the reverse camber alone really gave me no noticeable problems and only noticeable benefits.