Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quiver Question - Khyber, SD Swallowtail, Mnt Gun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 pm 

Need some thoughts/feedback on the current quiver. I ride in the Wasatch and I've been riding a Khyber for a few seasons now, it's a 165, this has been my go to board. I picked up a 178 Swallowtail last season for deeper days. Late this summer I snagged a new Mnt Gun, 171 because it was there, it's never been ridden.

I'm trying to decide if there's a place in my quiver for the Mnt Gun especially considering the new Mojo and the riding I do in the Wasatch. I'm not really in the market for another split right now so I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Mnt Gun or dump it. I have no plans to buy a Mojo or anything else this season, I bought the Gun on a whim since it was a pretty good deal.

Opinions? Keep it, let 'er go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:05 pm 

Only you can answer that question. Do you ever ride steep/firm snow? If so, you'll have a hole in the quiver without the gun. That being said, the ideal length gun would be short and sweet (61 Gun) for those days.
The Mojo does all the Gun can do, but is a much better pow board then the Gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:16 pm 

karma surf wrote:
Only you can answer that question. Do you ever ride steep/firm snow? If so, you'll have a hole in the quiver without the gun. That being said, the ideal length gun would be short and sweet (61 Gun) for those days.
The Mojo does all the Gun can do, but is a much better pow board then the Gun.

Wise words directly from the source.

Sounds like you have the right tools for powder, and like KS said, you are missing the hard snow tool for spring peak bagging and couloir hunting, and a 171 gun is probably a bit too long for that job.

I'd say send it to another home and get a 161-166 Mojo to round out the quiver if you get the itch.

Think snow!

UB

Post subject: Mojo 161/166
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:32 pm 

Good to hear from two riding buddies that I didn't even get out with last season. Based on that fact, I wonder why I'm even considering another rig!

At any rate, DJ, are you saying I'd want the Mojo in a 161 rather than a 166? Remember, I'm 6'1" 195 without gear. I've never ridden a 161 anywhere.

How's the Mojo going to be different than my 165 Khyber? Sounds like stiffer, less taper but still enough to float the nose and turn quick. Is the tail much wider than the Khyber so better for switch and landing bigger air?

Fro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:40 pm 

I ride a 171 Mtn. Gun for the steep and scary hard stuff with no problem. I have ridin' the Mojo on nearly everything else as well. At 6' 1" I would think you would have no problem with a 171 Gun. I'm 6'2".