Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purchasing First Splitboard
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:06 pm 

I am an avid winter backpacker and snowboard in the north-east, primaraly resort riding, with limited backcountry experience. My current board is dead and am looking to purchase my first splitboard and so far the Prior Kyber and the Volie Mojo are on my list. any other boards I should consider. Currently, the mojo is on the top of my list, partially due to the price.

Due to my lack of expierence with splitboards, will the mojo be a good purchase in the northeast.

Thanks

Post subject: venture
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:03 pm 

check out the venture divide. Its is pretty sweet. Had a prior backcountry split, was not too thrilled to get a topsheet defect after paying over a 1 thousand for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:39 am 

If you look at the geometry of the Khyber, it's meant to be a powder machine. That's not to say it won't work in other conditions, but a different board might work better in the northeast where powder is scarce, esp in the last decade or so, and you'll be likely to encounter more varied conditions.

I second the Venture Divide, both for quality of product and ethos of company. Everyone says nice things about the mojo, though, and it is a lot cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:39 am 

Pay no attention to the people in Colorado!!!! No offense to them, but they probably haven't ever done BC in NE.

Tree riding is 90% of the BC experience here, so any board that turns well is your friend. I know ikkin rides a Khyber, and loves it. I got a Freeride 166 last year and it's a bit too long for New England. That, and there is powder if you find your own lines and don't follow the crowd.

You will be stoked on both the Mojo and the Khyber. With prices what they are, I would probably go with the Mojo unless you find a Khyber on clearance, or Prior has your favorite topsheet on sale. Even then, with the dollar/looney exchange rate being what it is now, the Mojo is still the better deal.

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:30 am 

Shep wrote:
I got a Freeride 166 last year and it's a bit too long for New England.
Thanks,
Shep

guess i shoulda spoken to you before i rode my 181 Supermodel through the trees in New Hampshire (Mt Warshington) and New York (Holiday Valley).
:lol:
It sure sharpens the reflexes!

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 pm 

Of course, everything I say should come with "Your mileage may vary"... :) What I should've said was that I'm not such a jump-turning stud that the 166 is great for me. My 158 that I ride in-bounds is noticeably nimbler in the trees (Duh!). If I could go back in time, and had all the money in the world, I would buy a 161 mojo and a 172 spearhead split... :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Purchasing First Splitboard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:46 pm 

JasonS99 wrote:
I am an avid winter backpacker and snowboard in the north-east, primaraly resort riding, with limited backcountry experience. My current board is dead and am looking to purchase my first splitboard and so far the Prior Kyber and the Volie Mojo are on my list. any other boards I should consider. Currently, the mojo is on the top of my list, partially due to the price.

Due to my lack of expierence with splitboards, will the mojo be a good purchase in the northeast.

Thanks
I have only ridden the Khyber split. I ride the 160 (I'm 5'9 145 lbs) and it is a great tree powder board as it has a lot of pop in the tail and some taper to make it effortless to snake between tight trees.

To be sure, steep firm/icy conditions (I grew up and went to school in New England) are not "ideal" for the Khyber, however it is not "terrible" (the Burton Fish is terrible on steep windpack). The Khyber can get you down the icy steep without you feeling like you are going to die, however the Khyber excels in soft snow conditions. No I know BC is supposedly not just about the powder... but if the entire slope is rock hard, I personally wouldn't even bother going up since it's the soft stuff (doesn't have to be fresh powder) that I like to ride.

The Venture Divide sounds like a sweet board too (never ridden it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:34 pm 

Hey Jason, I am formerly an ice coaster(NY) and would have been stoked to have the Mojo back in those days. I've ridden it on everything from frozen groomers (super steep) to bottomless pow. It is a great board for pretty much every condition and the price is right as well. It flys through the trees as well. Trees are still my favorite. Happy huntin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:31 pm 

Shep wrote:
If I could go back in time, and had all the money in the world, I would buy a ... :twisted:

werd. woulda had a quiver for eastern conditions and woulda only pulled out the 181 fer epic snow...
ah well, it was worth it to see park-punks arguing if burton ever made a 181 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:06 pm 

InTheMountains wrote:
Shep wrote:
If I could go back in time, and had all the money in the world, I would buy a ... :twisted:

werd. woulda had a quiver for eastern conditions and woulda only pulled out the 181 fer epic snow...
ah well, it was worth it to see park-punks arguing if burton ever made a 181 :lol:

I've seen several local riders at Jay Peak riding the Supermodel 181 - it's a favorite ther for powder in the trees - looks super surfy.

I think that any of the current splitboards with modest taper, ample sidecut and a setbank stance (Mojo, Khyber, Burton S) is going to turn well in tight trees. The length should be based on rider weight (gotta float pow every now and then, even on the Ice Coast). My 168 Burton S turns as pretty as you please and it floats pretty well for my weight (225).

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 am 

I've been on a 160 Khyber for a few years now and think it is a great EC split. I would also be very happy on a 161 Mojo as well.

I don't know who else carries splits in the east but we do
http://www.neice.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTR&Product_Code=VoileMojo&Category_Code=81
drew