Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior Backcountry Split 165 vs Mtn Gun 166
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:02 am 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the prior backcountry split versus the mountain gun. I hear Voile is coming out with a new 166 gun this year. I'm looking to get a board that can pretty much perform in a range of conditions (if that's possible). The 165-6 length should allow me to ride powder, but still be short enough for when the snow consolidates. Is the prior backcountry stiff enough to handle steep hardpack? I know the gun is capable, but I worry it may be a little stiff for general cruising. Also, it seems to be about 1.5 lbs heavier than the backcountry. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:26 pm 

I don't have personal experience with either (only ridden the Standard SD), but I looked at Backcountry's article from a while back. The Prior actually was listed a little heavier than the Voile. Looking at the Voile Website, the difference in weight between the MG and the SD is pretty minimal. I'm seriously considering the MG for this year, since they softened it up, and I live on the Ice Coast...

YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:46 pm 

The new Mtn Gun lengths should DEBUT at the winter OR show, that doesn't mean they'll be available this season. Also when comparing weights, make sure the weights in question are based upon the same criteria. Some companies report weights without all the hardware, some without slider tracks... The most accurate info would be for users here to post actual weights with their personal boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 am 

I ride a Prior BC 161. I put a lot of miles on it and have found it to be a good board.

I think board stiffness is largely relative to one's weight. I weigh just over 140 and found the 161 to be a good balance for most everything. On firm spring corn it worked fine for me. I would have liked a little more stiffness (or maybe just length) on a few fast heavy powder open bowl runs. But 99% of the time it worked great for my riding.

I would guess that weight differences are pretty small between these boards.

I don't have any personal experience on a voile MG or SD, but apparently they have stiffened the SDs and I bet they are pretty comparable to a Prior BC. If the MG isn't an option, you might consider the SD.

Also, Never Summer and Venture both offer comparable boards. NS enjoys a tremendously loyal following and Venture's Divide is new but looks promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47 am 

Thanks for all the good info. I've got an email in to Never Summer because I've read a lot of good things about them. It looks like the Gun 166 won't be available until next year, so I'm still considering......