Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Width vs Length
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:27 pm 

Lo and Behold a 2013 Rome Whiteroom can be had (& a guy here has a used setup for sale) for a damned good price. It's got the shape I want with the Rocker-Tip to Front Foot, Camber-Front foot to Tail for splitboarding and would do well as my inbounds powder board as well (same role my Poacher was intended for). I'm struggling with the 162 and 165 choice though. Thing is i'm not a heavy guy (150 - 155) but I require Large bindings so waist width is always a concern for me. It's only a 4mm difference though, so really is it worth 4cm of length for 4mm of width.

Up until OR Splitfest I had a Poacher 164 and even with its insane camber I didn't seem to have many problems compressing it on the ascents. In fact it was quite beastly on ascents one of the reasons I wanted something camber in next board as well. The length was only a issue split skiing and icy downhill rides. Being a swallow tail I did feel like my boots would bottom out depending on the snow and how hard of a turn I was attempting to carve at times though. Even then its only a 6mm difference, which would put the 165 at a whole 1cm of width gain over what I was riding! Coincidentlally this is also the same waist difference from my 157cm Arbor inbounds board. I get away with it on the Arbor due to the edge flare they put underfoot.

Guess the only final bits of relevant information is in regards to the binding interface and ride style. As I'm trying to do this on the cheap, seems the voile interface is currently my best option (Uses my existing bindings & boots, lowest cost interface). With the slider track's added height I don't think i'm going to have many issues for now. Future wise though, I would like to switch over to a lower profile, lighter weight, solid binding setup someday. All of those would put my boot back on the board at the normal height. As for actual riding... I am way more of a large surface carve rider then a chute bomber, seeing the Mountain as one long continuously cresting wave to play on. Granted I do enjoy a nice tree run too, but that's usually a matter of what is left to play on more than what I seek out especially when splitboarding.

So opinion me folks! Reading over this I feel like I might be overthinking things a bit... *shrug* Virgo

Dogan
St Helens might happen this year after all!

Post subject: Re: Width vs Length
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:07 am 

What size boots?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:52 pm 

US 11.5 - 12 depending on who's boot. *reaches behind himself* Yeah these old hockey style Big5 (5150's) boots are 12's.

I've tried 11.5 in stores, sometimes they jam my toes a bit. Saloman's were ok, just enough toe mash that would probably mold to use. Long narrow feet I guess, I fit well into adidas for normal wear. My inbound bindings are Large Flow Flite's.

Dogan
Open to boot brand suggestions but nothing serious as mine aint broke yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 pm 

Look for a board with a26.5 to 27 cm waist. Voile has some shorter wide boards and I think jones does to. I've got size twelves to so I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 pm 

What angles do you run on your bindings? Sometimes a few degrees makes a big difference for toe drag. Stance width as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:51 pm 

I'm a slightly duck regular foot if I remember it correctly (been a while since I setup a board) I go 10 to 15 front foot and -3 to -5 back foot. Its pretty close to my natural stance angle for just standing in a balanced position. I've ridden more aggressive angles 20 and 10's but once I went quack I don't think I could go back.

Dogan
bad joke.