Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 am
Posts: 13
As you can see from the pictures my splitboard is dead. And I don't now if that it is my fall or it is an issue from Nitro. That crack it appeared, I think, when I was in ski module, between two hills. Also the core is broken...

Any opinions or similar problems?
I want to mention that there's no scratch on the base.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Splitboard Romania https://www.facebook.com/pages/Splitboard-Romania/436244006421668?fref=ts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:16 am
Posts: 490
Location: Salida, Flagstaff
What a bummer. Sorry. Hope that didn't end your season.

Looks to me as if the topsheet cracked and delaminated as the board folded during a heel turn. Note that the crack follows where the edge of where your binding would be, and originates and is most severe along the heel edge. It's likely a combination of poor construction and design (a board should be designed to hold forward pressure and not to fold in heel turns, and here when it does fold, the construction is of insufficient quality to hold together amidst that pressure). That's my hypothesis. It's also a strong argument for buying boards made in-house too, where quality comes first, like Venture.

Unless you hit an obstacle, this is a warranty issue. If you, I'd exercise that warranty and, for the good of your fellow splitters, report back here how Nitro handles it.

Edit: The upward profile bend immediately in front of your puck in your second to last photo suggests that the core is broken too.

_________________
Craig Kelly is my co-pilot
195 Glissade Big Gun
187 Donek Custom Split
181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:35 pm
Posts: 316
Location: Ithaca, NY
Taylor wrote:
What a bummer. Sorry. Hope that didn't end your season.

Looks to me as if the topsheet cracked and delaminated as the board folded during a heel turn. Note that the crack follows where the edge of where your binding would be, and originates and is most severe along the heel edge. It's likely a combination of poor construction and design (a board should be designed to hold forward pressure and not to fold in heel turns, and here when it does fold, the construction is of insufficient quality to hold together amidst that pressure). That's my hypothesis. It's also a strong argument for buying boards made in-house too, where quality comes first, like Venture.

Unless you hit an obstacle, this is a warranty issue. If you, I'd exercise that warranty and, for the good of your fellow splitters, report back here how Nitro handles it.


Agreed on all points!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:59 am
Posts: 250
Location: Amsterdam
I've seen an almost identical failure on a board this year, it was where the hooks/k-clips would be and no damage to the base either. Part of the core broke and the top laminate. This was one of the well known "made in-house" quality brands, brandnew board too. Although I didn't ride it myself, so I can't say if it took some big hits.

I think part of the problem is these boards are getting so light now, I don't really see this as a production flaw. But those superlight cores and contructions may not be as suitable for a splitboard afterall.

Agreed that warranty should cover this though.

_________________
http://splitfest.tumblr.com/
Flatland Splitfest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:51 am
Posts: 687
Location: Surfing or Splitboarding Downunder
The same thing appeared to happen to Draizuh

With a Rossi XV

_________________
Adam West
Board Designer
FirstLight
+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 am
Posts: 203
Location: Sydney
Boards are too light for sure. It has its advantages and disadvantages as the op just found out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 am
Posts: 13
The guys from Nitro were very cool and they had agreed that the warranty should cover this.

_________________
Splitboard Romania https://www.facebook.com/pages/Splitboard-Romania/436244006421668?fref=ts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:25 am
Posts: 16
I think the Splitboard Romania pic might have helped you, it's so cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:35 pm
Posts: 316
Location: Ithaca, NY
Skin up wrote:
I think the Splitboard Romania pic might have helped you, it's so cool.


I agree! Your logo is awesome!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro Thunder Issue/Broke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 am
Posts: 13
aliasptr wrote:
Skin up wrote:
I think the Splitboard Romania pic might have helped you, it's so cool.


I agree! Your logo is awesome!



THX!

_________________
Splitboard Romania https://www.facebook.com/pages/Splitboard-Romania/436244006421668?fref=ts


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: metrix421 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group