Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6'2" 190 lbs what size board do you recommend?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:17 am 

One of my buddys has a new burton 168 he will sell for three hundo? Steamboat doesn't have a large group of splitboarders so I greatly appreciate your input!
thanks

Post subject: Re: 6'2" 190 lbs what size board do you recommend?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:02 pm 

It of course depends on your riding style and ability! If you can give it a try, definitely do that!

If you're sizing a lot up, say from a 159, it will feel awkward at first. Especially if the larger board is much stiffer than you're used to. Are you sizing up much?

But in the end, smaller and less stiff will be more nimble and playful. Bigger and stiffer will be more stable and confidence inspiring in certain conditions but will make slow speed or real tight maneuvers that you don't want to hop turn down harder.

I'm 6' and 200 lbs and I absolutely love my 168 cm long, 26.2 cm waist, 9m radius sidecut board that is very stiff.

That said riding smaller, less stiff and more poppy boards is a lot of fun too.

While splitting I love my big boards for the float, the speed and the stability. I don't like carrying them though because they are of course heavier!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 pm 

What do you ride in a resort? Size has somewhat to do with personal preference and the conditions you encounter. Thick trees, steep chutes, spring corn, low angle light powder will all affect your board sizing decisions.

I ride about the same size board as I ride in the resort because I prefer to keep my board a bit more nimble to handle tight spots you will sometimes find yourself in. As Aliasptr also mentioned, I like going uphill on a smaller board too. Some riders size up a touch for better float with a pack on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:30 pm 

Ride on! I just didn't want to get something that was too over or under done for me.

I kinda know what those measurements mean? Google says
Slightly Tapered 6–7MM
•Length:, Effective edge:[168cm] 126.5cm
•Waist width: [168cm] sidecut radius 8.63m
•Stance width: [All] 50.5cm, Stance setback: [All] 25cm
•Core material: Super Fly II wood, Base material: Sintered Base

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:41 pm 

sbscosplit wrote:
Ride on! I just didn't want to get something that was too over or under done for me.

Slightly Tapered 6–7MM

So what do you ride now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:54 pm 

That board will not be too big for you, especially in CO. We have dry light pow here, and surface area of the board is important for float.
I would be concerned that the Burto might be a little narrow for you? They run kind of narrow, and at your height you may have size 11 or larger feet?
I am 6'1" with size 28 boots (US 10.5-11 street shoe/skate shoe), and I find my 167X Prospector is as small as I am willing to go.
If the board is good deal, and you are looking to save money, I would say go for it, but if you are OK with spending more, then maybe search around a bit to find the "perfect" board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:49 pm 

You will find that preferences vary widely on this forum. Much depends on one's riding style. Some people push-pull shortish radius turns out from their upper body, which stays in a relatively stationary position. These folks put less force on a board (and can get away with less board) than someone who compresses down onto and then off of a board in a larger radius turn. Again, differences in style and body mechanics. But as Barrow's alludes, when it comes to surface area and low-density pow, physics can't be tricked.

I am 6'4" 220lb, 235 with pack, and I can easily submarine or fold the shovel on my smallest split, a 181 Venture Storm--which is a fairly stout board, at least as production decks go (which is a very low bar, for the record). It's a fun play board as long as I keep things below 80% or so--the smallest I'll go for an all-arounder short of a significant change in longitudinal and torsional stiffness, shovel width and surface area.

That said, I have a buddy who is my size and who was the U.S. amateur national slalom champ back in the day (he can rip turns in any terrain). He makes short little push pull turns--that's his style--and he's perfectly happy riding a super-stiff 159 in off piste terrain. But he gets teased a lot and is secretly embarrassed.

You need to find what works best for your riding style in the terrain and snow conditions you'll be spending time in.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:39 am 

aliasptr wrote:
sbscosplit wrote:

Slightly Tapered 6–7MM

So what do you ride now?

Some locals here in steamboat make there own boards called Filthy. The one I rode twice had a bit of rocker, was really fast. 164 I think. Don't know the measurements. Had a blast though. Bombing groomers when the terrain was smooth enough for it. Had to slow down for the more choppy stuff. Its a run called vagabond. I learned it well enough to keep having fun with it 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:44 am 

barrows wrote:
That board will not be too big for you, especially in CO. We have dry light pow here, and surface area of the board is important for float.
I would be concerned that the Burto might be a little narrow for you? They run kind of narrow, and at your height you may have size 11 or larger feet?
I am 6'1" with size 28 boots (US 10.5-11 street shoe/skate shoe), and I find my 167X Prospector is as small as I am willing to go.
If the board is good deal, and you are looking to save money, I would say go for it, but if you are OK with spending more, then maybe search around a bit to find the "perfect" board.

Right, that is fine advice. I will definitely have to check and make sure my size 11 feet don't hang off the stick.

I would be really stoked to try your setup. I have looked at those boots and bindings. I wonder if they will be cheaper in about a month? What do you think?

There are a lot of never summer fans here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 am 

Taylor wrote:
You will find that preferences vary widely on this forum. Much depends on one's riding style. Some people push-pull shortish radius turns out from their upper body, which stays in a relatively stationary position. These folks put less force on a board (and can get away with less board) than someone who compresses down onto and then off of a board in a larger radius turn. Again, differences in style and body mechanics. But as Barrow's alludes, when it comes to surface area and low-density pow, physics can't be tricked.

I am 6'4" 220lb, 235 with pack, and I can easily submarine or fold the shovel on my smallest split, a 181 Venture Storm--which is a fairly stout board, at least as production decks go (which is a very low bar, for the record). It's a fun play board as long as I keep things below 80% or so--the smallest I'll go for an all-arounder short of a significant change in longitudinal and torsional stiffness, shovel width and surface area.

That said, I have a buddy who is my size and who was the U.S. amateur national slalom champ back in the day (he can rip turns in any terrain). He makes short little push pull turns--that's his style--and he's perfectly happy riding a super-stiff 159 in off piste terrain. But he gets teased a lot and is secretly embarrassed.

You need to find what works best for your riding style in the terrain and snow conditions you'll be spending time in.

I never thought about it that way. Right now I make bigger turns when there is more speed from being steep. That's the most fun. I am definitely compressing the board for all it is worth. Flatter, slower terrain and I understand the push pull turns. A couple of the fastest boarders here do the push pull turns going twice as fast as me. They are filthy riders using the same board. First time they blew past me was impressive.

Fold the shovel?! Submarine? Like getting buried in powpow when it hits your pits? I don't know those terms . . . but thanks for all that input :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:45 am 

Ive also been really curious about what I should be riding with a splitboard as I am looking to get into it this next coming winter as well. im a 220 lbs 73in tall, size 12 snowboard boots guy and i ride a 164.5 T.Rice Pro HP and 163 NS Proto HDX out in Austria.