Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arbor Abacus 164 - first impression
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:38 pm 

Took my new 164 abacus out today for my first ride on it. We had 6-8" of new snow so it was pretty ideal except for the avy danger. I kept to fairly mellow slopes except for some steep sections in the trees. The fit of the board halves was extremely tight and far better than my last board. When put together you can barely tell it is a split. The top sheet collected a bit more snow than I expected when breaking trail but got better as I took more laps. The board floats extremely well. I had my bindings set all the way back even though arbor indicates you don't have with the rocker. I may experiment to see how moving them forward changes the ride. The board turns extremely quick and is great in the trees. It is also is easy to pop off rollers,much more than any board I have ridden. With skinning, I slipped a little more on a few steep sections than I expected, which with the board profile, I read this may happen. It wasn't so bad that it ruined my day but was noticeable. I will have to see how it does on a day with less new snow, where it could get tricky. The board weighed about 7.3 lbs for the 164, which is fairly light compared to others. Overall I was impressed with the board initially and will have to see how it does with less ideal conditions later this year. If you can grab one cheap this late in the season you will be making a decent purchase. That is what let me pull the trigger. Hope this helps someone.