Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A newbies first notes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm 

So after renting a splitter in Tahoe last year I decided there may be a place for it here in New England after all. I do not recall what length that board was but it had spark bindings.
I purchased a used Mtn Gun 161 with old school Voile last fall. My resort board is 162. I am 160-165lbs. My thinking was this would be a local board so would not have a heavy pack and I could get away with a board same length as my resort board. I did not count on the Gun being 5# heavier than my resort board.
I rode the Gun at a nearby mtn with about 8" fresh pow. I had a real hard time keeping this board on top of snow.
I moved the bindings back and waited for more snow (we had a major thaw/rain in Jan). I finally got my chance to ride again at different local mtn/hill.
There was about 10+" of 4 day old Pow. It was thick and not real fluffy. The terrain was not quite as steep as first time out.
While the board did ride better I still had trouble keeping aloft in the snow. It did do a bit better when I got to the real steep (and short) section of hill.
Sooooo did I completely F up on the size....cause that is what I think. :banghead:

This second time out I used the skins (first time carried it up) and I was VERY impressed at how fast it could travel on the approach in. The small downhills were also fun in the split stage (I telemark some also). When I got to the steep part it was a challenge to skin and would have been easier to hike.
The switchover from tour to ride mode was my first time. It was done while I was talking on the phone for an added challenge........ it took 7 min.

All in all, strapping my resort board to my back and hiking up is still faster and easier for the terrain I was on. I imagine that the same will be true for Mt. Washington.

Post subject: Re: A newbies first notes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 pm 

I thought my boad (Burton Freebird 158) was too short the first few times that I rode it too, but I found that I just needed to re adjust my stance and then I felt much better

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 pm 

I though about going back to the old school 15 front/90 rear.
in what way did u adjust the stance?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:14 pm 

I set it one insert back, for more float and a more directional feel. Then I rotated my front foot a few degrees forward

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:56 pm 

I'm 140 on a good day at 5'9" and I ride a 161. I would say go up to a 165. It is pretty standard to go up a size for BC anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:41 pm 

Going up in size in backcountry is fine....as long as the trees are spaced like they are in Tahoe. Here in NE we have many mtns loaded with tight trees. Sometimes you think your in jail. I should get a better assessment this weekend on a backcountry ski/board/camp trip with 10-12 fresh expected tomoro.
I may try to re-sell the 161 and go for a longer board anyhow.
Thanks for input.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 pm 

I'm gonna say it's the board itself that is your issue... The Gun was not really a great riding board. Setback will always help for sure, but I think something softer and more powder specific will make you much happier. Try a Prior Khyber or Burton Landlord and I'm sure you'll be stoked.

The Gun was really a big heavy POS... Great if your super heavy or charging super steep ice, but not really good for anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:27 am 

Thanks for the info Pow_hnd.
wish I found that info before purchase....I really looked hard on this site for info at the time but could find no real negagives.
The thing does ride like a truck compared to my custom x.
I am Off to the local hill again with the truck.....snow is starting to pile up here now in MA.
Thanks for response again

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:11 am 

I second what Powhound said. If you are doing tons of pivoty turns in tight NE woods, I'd pick up a cheap, wide rockered freestyle board, split it, paint the core once with poly or just wax it. use as much of the hardware from the mountain gun and cover your eyes, ears, headphone cords, and throw a million easy turns through those thickets! The mountain gun isn't flexing out into a rocker that can turn well and easy until a lot of your weight pushes it out so it is far from nimble at the start of a turn and at lower speeds or in dry light snow. It's a better board for riding open spaces in firmer steeper springtime snow at speed. cut your losses and move on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am 

Thanks Scooby
I was always a slow learner so had to try again yesterday on 10 more inches of pow on top of the 10 from week ago. We headed to steepest part of mtn....also thicker in trees. While on the steepest parts I could keep moving but forget about turning as I had so much weight on rear foot.
when it was less steep I sunk repeatedly. I ended up walking down in knee deep snow.
My buddy on BC skiis also had difficulty but did make it thru a few runs.
The storm suddenly turned to rain and I trudged back to lot pretty bummed out.....and vowing to return with my skiis.
I agree with what you said about using the hardware and skins from board....The gun may do well at Tuckermans and the like but, My confidence riding it is shaken.
Question for any reading: What is the weight of your modern generation split board in the 160ish range?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:56 am 

I'll second that a modern split with crampons just can't be beat for the backcountry. All the Burtons are to small for me but maybe you might like them, they seem to be designed for tight east coast riding..