Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboard durability.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:16 am 

Now the question is really in the topic, how many seasons are you guys using your split? Are there any specific symptoms of failure not common in solid boards? I am not talking about screw tightening and general maintenance just how long the gear can function and if anyone has any stories of gear failing and shed some light on common issues. One thing i am curious about is the durability of the hooks and pucks from voile and perhaps other systems aswell if they are holding up better or wearing faster?

Post subject: Re: Splitboard durability.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:01 am 

I am six years in on a Voile Mojo 166. I am looking for a new board but that is more to do with wanting to check out the new shapes then this board failing. I have several core shots (not the boards fault) and there are several chips in the top coat as well as some delamination on the edges. I go about 20-30 times a year so I consider this board pretty solid. All of the hardware appears to be in great shape with no functional issues at all including the plastic Voile pucks and hooks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:03 am 

When I'm not on the Chimera I'm using an Arbor Formula that began life in 2005 as a solid board. Its been ridden four long seasons on piste and two and a half as a split. Still fun!

Up until I bought the Arbor I was still riding a 1989 Burton "CK" Mystery Air, yep still fun! (May he "CK" rest in Peace)

I've got one of the Voile 195cm swallowtails (White w/ Purple flames) - not sure of the year[edit 2002]. I bought it second hand, I've used it hard for three + seasons, still epic, still fun!

Last but not least, I have my 1984 Burton "Woodie" Performer that up until the last two dismal seasons, has gotten out at least a couple times early season for some binderless play.

Having started out on glorified water skis, anything reasonably modern is wonderful IMO, so I try not to get overly caught up in minutiae.
After all it's just snowboarding, seems like some folks over-think the fun right out of riding. :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:51 pm 

I've had my spark fuses for 5 seasons? (i think) I replaced the bushings with brass ones and had to fill the speed cubes with epoxy, now still going strong. I've gone through 3 boards in the last 6 years mainly outside edge damage on my diys, broken edges from riding through and over rocky shit, my fault. Tip and tail clips tend to get loose on my diy's looking into Prowders clips. Still have my first set of pucks after 6 seasons (one is cracked).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:33 pm 

First season Venture Divide has held up for six or seven seasons (anyone remember which season they debuted?). Average 40-50 days in the bc, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 days. Minor topsheet delam, bunch of rock damage, but no noticeable loss of flex, still gets the job done. It's graduated to rock board status, mostly because I wanted something with some rocker and picked up a new Venture last season, but with the lack of snow here the past couple of years it still gets some action. Never had any issues with any hardware, don't think I've even tightened anything since it was first set up. Had a second generation set of Sparks, base cracked after a few seasons, second pair is going strong with a few strap parts replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 pm 

I am still riding a 2009-2010 Venture Storm. Venture boards are super durable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:34 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Last but not least, I have my 1984 Burton "Woodie" Performer that up until the last two dismal seasons, has gotten out at least a couple times early season for some binderless play.

Having started out on glorified water skis, anything reasonably modern is wonderful IMO, so I try not to get overly caught up in minutiae.

After all it's just snowboarding, seems like some folks over-think the fun right out of riding. :twocents:

Snurfer f'''ing rocks. :thumpsup:

My 09/10 Venture Storm is the most bomber snowboard I've ever owned (in 31 yrs). The construction surpasses NS boards I've owned and Ventures I've owned since. It is a tank. (I like tanks; tanks good; tanks Venture!)

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split