Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Newbie looking for his first board

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie looking for his first board
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:48 pm 

So I am looking at getting into splitboarding. My "backcountry" experience to this point has been limited to the sidecountry that I can access from the side of a resort, or going down a nordic trail, on an old board. So I don't really know the finer points of camber vs rocker etc. let alone the effect they have on skinning.
I have a buddy, who skis that will show me the ropes as far as touring goes. But I need some help with the gear aspect of it.
I've been looking at different articles on here and some other reviews, but I could use some straight up advice for good way to start on a used board where I won't break the bank. I am 5' 11 160lbs, and I would prefer to be boarding in powder but I don't want to be limited since I will primarily be using it in the Mt. Hood area to start.

On craigslist Im able to find a K2 panoramic, a Burton S-Series, and a Gnu Billy goat all for about $550. Are these good prices? I was hoping to not spend much over $400.

Also from what I read I was thinking n the range of 158-162 for board length.

Any and all help would be very appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for his first board
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 pm 

That's too much for the Burton, imo.

For reference, several years ago I sold my good condition Burton S with everything + past model but as new Flow bindings and boots + poles for $220. I thought I should get more for the whole package but that's what it came to.

For board only, the K2 and the Gnu should be cheaper too. Or at least I wouldn't pay as much for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:32 pm 

DIY, I got a Rossi Experience for $250 and a K2 Nemesis (7 years old but in good shape) for $90 and split them both. Fuses for $300, Tractor skins $150, boots, poles, avi essentials, pack, warm gear, camping shit etc... Shit adds up.
Save a few bucks ($200-400 depending), split your own, choose a relatively stiff board (7-10) you'll be happy. Watch the video, drinks some beers (not to many) or smoke some joints if thats your thing. Its a little nerve racking with nicer boards, but even if you fuck up it will still work.

P.S. i see my buddies on fully edged rocker boards slip and slide of icy tracks that i traverse just fine on with no inside-edge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:49 am 

Jesus man, don't rip yourself off. Evo has a spliff for 369. Shop interweb retailers for deals on new, past-season models before handing joe shmuck 400 for a used s-series. Sad but true and I don't mean to come off as harsh, just a reality check. I've always felt craigslist splits are over priced- people trying to sell the novelty. Reality is clips get worn and offpiste conditions can be brutal on a base. No shame in low balling, especialy if their price is outrageous. Stick to your price cause all the other stuff down the road gets expensive too. Also, watch this forum's swap thread and ask questions. There are guys on here asking reasonable prices that have proven track records. Grab up that Unity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 pm 

Thanks all,
The ones I was looking at were board and gear, so your guys' input is definitely helpful. I will hold off getting one for now, and try to rent a board here and test them out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm 

As someone who recently bought a craigslist board I have a little input.
Be PATIENT....I could have gotten a much better board if I had waited a bit longer....I shopped for about 3 weeks (missing out on a few) before I made the plunge. It has been an awful winter here so only ridden 1x....and I carried it up as I always had before this board (just made no sense as 3 others had boards on backs).
I had rented a split out in Tahoe and it had Sparks with it. I really liked it, even though it was kinda beat up it rode real well.
The board I purchased has old school Voile bindings and the board was a challenge to ride its first time out in some fresh pow. I have moved the bindings back a notch and hope for a better ride (tomorrow).
One thing I really did not consider was weight. The used split I got is 15# with my bindings and my resort board Is only 9.5-10# with bindings. I always wondered why people on the site are so hung up on shaving fractions of oz. by getting light weight pins and such.....now I know.
As soon as I can I am getting Sparks to cut down on weight.
just be patient.