Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Initial Thoughts of the 2014 Neversummer Prospector
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm 

I have had a chance to ride the new Prospector split from Neversummer a couple of times so far this season. I am using the Sparks Blaze bindings and G3 skins. On October 3 we had a really great snow event on Mt. Hood and I did a short warm up tour at Mt. Hood Meadows skinning up to the top of Cascade and riding down upper elevator to 2 bowl and back to the base area. It was a wet heavy "cascade cement" powder. Yesterday, a group of us skinned up Palmer at Timberline on boiler plate from a recent rain event followed by a strong cold snap.

In both cases, the board performed quite well and in riding mode felt very responsive and playful. On this terrible frozen concrete yesterday, it dealt with the conditions well and I was able to maintain some edge hold and the dampness of the board reduced a lot of the chatter from the rough, icy surface. Where I was most impressed was in the performance of the new flat section under the touring bracket designed to reduce some of the problems with traction when skinning with a RC split.

I had my Gnu Billy Goat split with the G3 skins and the Blaze bindings and gave it a test run. As expected, it did not do well skinning on this solid ice surface and my friends with traditional camber splits fared better. I then switched the board for the Prospector and I can say without any doubt, that the traction was substantially improved. Not quite as sure footed as traditional camber but close. I think this tweak to their RC profile really comes close to eliminating this issue with skinning on an RC split. I personally enjoy the feeling of riding an RC split as many people do, but also notice this traction issue in some conditions when skinning so was pretty stoked to test this out on some really terrible surface conditions.

If anyone wants to read the full review, it is here:

https://www.facebook.com/wolfsnowboarding/posts/440261579408112

Post subject: Re: Initial Thoughts of the 2014 Neversummer Prospector
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:33 pm 

Anyone else shredding the prospector lately? Specifically in the deep?

Post subject: Re: Initial Thoughts of the 2014 Neversummer Prospector
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 am 

Took it out on Saturday at Bert. Pretty good powder performance. Not any really super decent length shots to do there yet, but the float so far was pretty good. Got my first core shot too...

So far I really like the board. It was great in the spring and the pow performance is improved over my SL.