Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - cambered board for spring alaska trip?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cambered board for spring alaska trip?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:18 am 

The last 3 seasons I've put in 120 resort days a season on a regular cambered board, about 20 splitboard trips on a K2 Panoramic (hybrid). I feel much safer and have more fun on a cambered board, is there any reason why this wouldn't be true for hiking Valdez/Thompson Pass area? I have a few old cambered boards I might DIY split and bring that instead of my k2. Any thoughts? Or any regular camber factory splits being made?

Post subject: Re: cambered board for spring alaska trip?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 pm 

If you DIY - it might soften the board too much. I would prefer a stiffer board for AK.

Yes, there are camber splits - such as Nitro Thunder. The old Burton S was also camber.

If you open up to some camber / rocker combinations you will have more options - starting with Jones, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm 

lernr wrote:

If you open up to some camber / rocker combinations you will have more options - starting with Jones, etc.

I spent a whole season on a Never Summer, rode a Jones Flagship for about a week before selling it, and demo'd a bunch of flat/hybrid camber boards over the last few seasons. I think what you gain in powder float is not worth losing the pop and edge control from a regular camber.

I'll look into the Nitro Thunder and Burton S, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:20 pm 

What is this camber you talk about? :bananas: Rocker and a long base line :headbang: :rock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 am 

The Chimera Mace is a traditionally cambered split.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:15 am 

ringdings_and_pepsi wrote:
I think what you gain in powder float is not worth losing the pop and edge control from a regular camber.

I own a few splits. My NS SL is my only camber-rocker-camber board, and it is the most poppy and aggressive edging in my quiver. Once the rider climbs aboard and weights the two camber sections under the bindings, these boards press the tip and tail into the snow harder than a full camber board. If you want catch-free p-texing and edging then camber between the bindings and early rise tip and tail are the way to go, like a lot of Priors or the Burton Freebird, etc. Any rider can adapt to the behavior of the various profiles within a run though.

The real reason to choose a camber board for spring tours is for the superior climbing performance on iced-up skin tracks and the ability to split-ski out long approaches/departures.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:00 am 

In the end whatever style board you've been riding at the resort will work perfectly fine in Alaska early season right on through to spring. If the skin track gets so icy you're having troubles climbing pull out your crampons, don't let how a board tours dictate what board to bring and certainly if you like the way one style rides bring it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:37 am 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Another question - any reccomendations for RV rentals? Most of the places I've found are about $135/day, this a pretty typical price?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:43 pm 

It may be the case for others as well but I know that Prior will give your board any profile you want for an extra fee when you order it. :twocents:

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 am 

It won't matter. I am in AK and usually forget what board I am on when going down! I have a self split Ride camber and an Voile Artisan (rocker-camber-midrocker-camber-rocker). I like the Voile more on the way down and the camber more for the way up. UNLESS, I am breaking new trail--in that case I like the rocker profile more for skinning. As long as your camber is more than a 160 I don't see any issues.

Just rent a SUV to sleep in. It is really not that cold usually.