Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OZ Snowboards - A Behind the Scenes Look
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 am 

OZ Snowboards - A Behind the Scenes Look --- (Link to full write up and pics)

A few days ago Adam, mastermind and owner of OZ Snowboards shared a behind the scenes look to what I personally am calling one of the industries truly unique snowboard companies. The build quality and structural components of OZ boards are one of kind. A few build points to highlight are:

1) A solid non-jointed wood core: Most snowboard manufacturers utilize finger jointed wood cores to cut costs, these finger joints act as weak spots in the boards core. The amount of finger joints in a single board often vary from board to board. OZ uses a solid wood core with no finger joints. Another place manufactures cut costs is in the boards tip and tail. Plastic is often used at the boards tip and tail rather then the wood core extending through the boards tip and tail.

2) Aerospace grade carbon fiber: Most snowboard manufacturers use some form of fiberglass above and below the boards wood core. All OZ Snowboards are made with tri-axial aerospace grade carbon fiber. This is the material used to build jets. Carbon fiber is 5 times as strong and 1/3rd the weight of fiberglass and provides improved stability and control in a snowboard.

For more detailed info about the unique makeup of OZ boards visit the "Why Buy an OZ?"section of OZ Snowboards website.

Lets just say my next board will be an OZ. I've never been so impressed with the build quality of a snowboard. And the weight, so light thanks to the carbon fiber.

Legal Addictions Facebook Page

Legal Addictions Blog

Post subject: Re: OZ Snowboards - A Behind the Scenes Look
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 am 

Originally saw these in Kronicle and I'm impressed with some of the specs, pretty sweet.
Unfortunately, like many start-up/boutique board makers, their website is an abortion. Pretty much useless. :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:12 am 

Really? I think their website is pretty decent. What would you improve?
Are you on: http://www.ozsnowboards.com/ ?

I've been meaning to check these out. Will probably get on one at the on snow demo in Feb if they are there. Any durability issues due to the carbon? Seems like boards that light would not take a beating from us bigger guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:19 am 

Adam is doing good stuff. I am planning on getting out on one of his splits soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:30 am 

I'm really interested to hear some feedback on these spilits...

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:17 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Really? I think their website is pretty decent. What would you improve?
Are you on: http://www.ozsnowboards.com/ ?

Fair enough, aside from me being just being a snow starved dick I must have the absolute best/worst timing in internet history.

I just went back to look at the "snowboards" page and despite the unappealing illustrations, I was shocked to see the images actually linked to info.
Seriously, I've been to this site many times, on multiple computers/phone/tablet at different times and these never showed up as links. Just really bad timing I guess.

That said, its not as functionally bad as I thought. Apologies :oops: :bow: :guinness:

But since you asked. I still think the site suffers from trying to have too much content to the detriment of not being concise, contextual or having any flow.

Suggestions:
Loose four of the pages and consolidate into a meaningful design. Its just weird jumping to multiple pages and losing context with each mouse click.
Loose the design and topsheet pages and incorporate with the board/boards pages.
Show at least one topsheet on each board[s] page.
When linked, show the board with topsheet options including the portfolio (after all they are topsheets) off to the side OR mouse over to change (e.g. Prior)
AND include the relative "board design" details on the page of the board they correspond to. [EDIT] Geesh its there as well :scratch: fukymdum

Ok enough minutiae overload, apologies for shitting up this thread. I do think their boards are sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:26 pm 

That must not be an OZ board core in the first pic then. I see multiple finger joints.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 pm 

rughty wrote:
That must not be an OZ board core in the first pic then. I see multiple finger joints.

:thumbsup: +1
I exactly had the same thought... :scratch:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:10 pm 

"That must not be an OZ board core in the first pic then. I see multiple finger joints"

You are correct, good eyes! That is a core for our Tommy Knocker beer Colab snowboards. We do use finger jointed cores and fiberglass for any promo boards unless they want to pay the premium for our FSC Certified full vertically laminated wood cores. Most beer clients just want a cool snowboard and don't care for our technology.

@Snurfer, Thanks for the input on our site. Please recognize we are a small independent self funded snowboard company. That site is the best I can do with the resources I have. I spend the majority of my time and resources on building snowboards and not on building a website. I do plan on revamping it in the summer when we are not working 7 days a week trying to keep up with snowboard orders. Sarcasm aside, you do have some great points and I will incorp some of those ideas. Happy shredding

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:54 pm 

I've seen these in person, actually have a 161 CQ demo sitting in my garage that I have yet to get out on :nononno: but I can say from riding with Adam and seeing these boards in action. They look super fun, awesome topsheet options, amazingly lightweight and they appear to be very well made (durable). I'm planning on placing my order for an OZ for next winter for sure.
*not to mention Adam is a great guy and doing all the right things with OZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:37 am 

I've actually been scumming it up and riding the resorts for the past couple of days on one of Adam's boards. Very light, yet surprisingly stable and damp for how light it is. I believe it is the Varia-X model I have been riding. It has been a pleasure so far.

Adam gave me a CQ split to try out. I'll take it out by next weekend. Possibly this weekend if the stars align. Looking forward to getting out on it.