Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: torsional rigidity- am I doing it right?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 am 

Hey guys/girls, first time/long time. This is my first year with my own rig and my only knock on my setup is its a bit too loose between the bindings in board mode. Is stickin a pin between the touring brackets like that just asking for trouble? It seems like it's too easy a fix and Spark would've included the pin if they though it was a good idea. I'm sure some of you have tried this, did it work in the long term?

This message brought to you by my VISA card.

Post subject: Re: torsional rigidity- am I doing it right?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:32 am 

I hate that sheer effect and want torsional stiffness in a split. I ran Karakoram for a few years and using a stainless steel tubing rod between touring brackets made a huge difference, especially on my DIY boards. On my new set up, with spark tesla and factory Venture zephyr, that sheer effect is hardly noticeable. i might still run a rod between the tour brackets if they work on the tesla. First light and a few others offer the tubing rod for sale if you look into it, or just make your own.

The Phantom HB bindings offer the best interface i have seen and improve on this topic much better than the K binders or spark. I have also ran a third K clip between the bindings with good results.

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:30 pm 

Check with Adam / Firstlight, I believe he was making and selling rods to go between the touring brackets specifically for this purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50 pm 

Second for firstlight, they have been doing pins for a while now. It's also easy to get a piece of pin from a hardware store and make your own.

I run k clips with a Voile hook in the center of the board. Love it. Bent the board in half over a creek and didn't so much as make a noise. It's nice because with k clips ligning up the board halves can be a pain, so the extra hook takes care of several issues at once

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:40 pm 

Cool- good to know it's been done and works. 25$ aint bad for a custom rod, but Ima stick with my old trailer clip for now and see how it holds up- worked a treat today at WhiteWater but I'll have to keep and eye on wear around the touring holes. I also just splurged on the Teslas and don't want to have to buy a new set of mounts should it wear them down too much!