Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jones Solution or Hovercraft for variable conditions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:40 pm 

I'm in the market for my 1st splitboard and I can't decide which model - I can get 20% of Jones boards so I planned to buy one of his models.

I've tested a 161 solution, but the experience was'nt great since it was heavy snow, and the 161 board is far too big for me since I'm 5'10 and weigh only 130lb - so it felt like trying to steer a ship down the slope!

I have my heart set on a Hovercraft as the size (156) suits me, plus my experience on the solution was pretty bad, and the design is much nicer than the solution. But I'm afraid that the Hovercraft is too powder centric. I will only use this board in the backcountry (I have another resort oriented board) but here in Europe we don't have powder days all the time, often the conditions will be variable with crud, hard crust, packed, etc. So I need something that will work in the backcountry in all conditions.

Will I be ok with the hovercraft, or should I maybe go for the 158 solution? (it's the smallest they have and that even still sounds very big for me!)

Really appreciate any help on this, customer service in the local shops isn't very helpful on the topic!

Post subject: Re: Jones Solution or Hovercraft for variable conditions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:17 pm 

A 158 or even 161 isn't too long for you, more likely, you weren't riding aggressively enough for the Solution. It's a stiff board that likes hauling ass and strong riders, regardless of length. Never ridden a Hovercraft, and probably never will, dedicated pow boards aren't my thing. Look at softer, less aggressive boards, maybe a Jones Mountain Twin, and look at other manufacturers as well

Post subject: Re: Jones Solution or Hovercraft for variable conditions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:57 am 

The Hovercraft rides fine on hardpack as well!

However you might have the impression that the Hovercraft is too long for you as well, as contact length of the 156 Hovercraft (118cm) is even longer than of the 161 Solution (117cm), due to the cut off tail.