Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Profile and it's effects on climbing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am 

Mostly just looking for verification/clarification that I am thinking about this correctly (as I decide which board I want to get). So comparing the Gnu BillyGoat vs the NS Prospector: the Gnu is the camber/rocker/camber whereas the NS is camber/flat/camber. So in looking at those profiles how they would most across the surface underneath you the flat would do better on the climb since it's putting more of the nose and tail down? I assume that the flat(er) profile is going to make breaking trail that much better?? Would you actually have more of the base in contact while in climb mode w/ the flat profile vs the rocker profile? Seems as the board flexes under you when you are in tour mode it'd make little difference but the trend does seem that splits are going back to a more traditional camber type profile etc, so as I decide which new board to get this year just making sure i understand the reasoning behind profile and shape and what can I expect on the important part of the outing :D...

Thanks in advance..

Post subject: Re: Profile and it's effects on climbing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 pm 

Never Summer is Camber/Rocker/Camber! It's more or less noticeable if you have the board.

My experience with my NS Summit and several other splits, that I have tried, is that the individual halves flex much more than when combined into the board and you step right in the middle of them when skinning, so the general effect is that each half flexes into a huge rocker, regardless of the initial shape.

For the Prospector NS claim to have a revolutionising new profile, that will make it much easier to skin. I doubt there will be much difference if any.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 pm 

I have camber, flat, and rocker/hybrid boards (see my sig).

In soft conditions, they all get plenty of traction on the climb. In firm conditions, if it's really steep, I do find the flat and rockered (underfoot) boards offer a little less traction. In icy conditions, the rockered board sucks on the ups. No directional stability, and a tiny footprint for traction. The Prospector should climb a tiny bit better than the Gnu due to the short flat section underfoot. But 95% of the time the differences will negligible, and a skin with good grip and using good technique will mask many (most? all?) board differences.

Most boards are soft enough in the flex that the area right under your foot is the only part of the skin really helping on the climb. That said, if you are right at the edge of traction due to gradient or a hard snow surface, the difference becomes more important between a good climbing board and a great climbing board. You need to be able to put weight on the heel of the binding and push the climbing wires down! That's where the traction comes from, not the toe.

I would buy a board based on the riding shape and just deal with the climbing behavior inherent to the design, and make up any difference with good skinning technique. And invest in some binding crampons when you run out of technique.

And, I'd buy a Prospector in a heartbeat. :thumpsup:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

I suspect flex pattern and stiffness may have more to do with it than the exact rocker/camber profile. I suspected that my furberg might not have so much grip on steep skinning due to the rocker in the middle of the board, but I was pleasantly surprised that the board skinned fine, and I use G3 alpinist skins on it (not high traction).
I think the differences between skinning traction on the different profiles are small enough as to be a non-issue for all but the most extreme of conditions, and when it is that icy, split board crampons make a bigger difference than anything else. I will always use the board I want for riding, and learn to accomodate any skinning differences.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/