Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First split - thoughts?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:41 pm 

Hey! So, obviously, I'm looking for some advice on my soon-to-be first splitboard w/bindings and whatnot. I have spent most of my snowboarding-life (15yrs) in resorts, usually in the park, but when the pow comes down I try to get as much of it as possible. Been taking a few trips to some local spots with a friend of mine over the last 2 years, and this season I want to spend a lot more time off the slope. In terms of avalanche-training, I took a course 2-3 years back, considering taking another one for refreshment though. Being a student, I never really could invest in all the gear needed (in terms of time spent bc).

Been reading around a lot about what I should go with as a first-time buyer, and the amount of hardware needed sort of surprised me at first (mostly because of the total cost). In any case, I've looked at boards, bindings, read quite a few posts in here, and the following is what I've currently decided on:

Board: NS Prospector 164 (I'm 6', my usual board is a pretty stiff 155 Nitro)
Bindings: Spark R&D Magneto (Light, need something flexy for the trees) w/crampons.
Kit: Voile Universal

I'm assuming I get all the hardware I need for fitting the bindings from the kit + whatever is included with the Magneto? Not too much info on Spark's site.
Oh, and skins. Don't really see any big difference between those I can find, so I guess I can grab whichever.
The remaining stuff (beacon, probe, shovel, pole, etc.) I'll be picking up at local stores.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Post subject: Re: First split - thoughts?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 am 

Is it time for a sticky "my first splitboard" thread offering general rules and concepts to consider in a first split purchase? It might save everyone time and energy.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:35 am 

Yoko -

To your questions...

1. Given your height, you can get away with riding the 164 or 167 Prospector. That whopping 3 cm difference is largely negligible (more means a tiny bit more stability and float). The extra cm in width is something to consider if you wear 11s or 12s (to avoid boot-out). Unless you suck at turning a snowboard, which I doubt you do given your years riding, you will easily adjust to whichever size you choose. More importantly, its geometry and shape suggests it will be a well behaved off-piste deck, and Never Summer's construction quality ensures it will be very durable, which is a foremost consideration when buying a backcountry deck (which needs to withstand years of rock hits, etc).

2. The Magnetos are new. Their functionality raises the bar in the soft binding realm, but their durability and endemic design problems, if any, have yet to be revealed by real people putting them through the paces day after day, season after season. I haven't heard of any systemic problems on this forum, but it's also too soon to know whether such problems exist. It's something to consider, as there's some level of risk buying a new product like that.

3. I do not know if or how much overlap there is between the parts included in a Magneto binding and a Voile Universal kit purchase. I'm sure someone else on this forum can address that issue. Each manufacturer should provide a clear list of parts for each item online. If they don't (stoners) you'll have to call them. If there is overlap in their parts lists, there may be more cost effective parts purchasing strategies than getting the universal kit (in which case you'd need to research Voile's website, which is rife with individual parts purchasing options). But I suspect buying the kit will be the most cost effective option.

Hope that helps.

Taylor

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:45 am 

The Magnetos come with touring brackets and heel riser pads. From Voile, you want the $55 PUCK SET only. Don't get the whole interface kit. The NS comes with tip clips and hooks. Nice first rig. Do it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:47 pm 

Alright, thanks for the tips guys. Glad to see people agreeing with the setup, super-stoked to get out there as soon as the snow arrives :D

Man, these webshops though. Pretty much the only places I can pick up the Prospector is US/CA shops, and no way they're shipping stuff internationally. I have a solution for that, but with extra costs and more travel time. Oh well :?