Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another first splitboard thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hi,

So I'm getting my first Splitboard and need some help. First some information about myself:

75 kg
Riding for 15+ years
I love riding powder, but when there is none, I charge groomed runs.
Ability: andvanced

For my solid board I have the Burton Custom X 158 which I absolutely love. I love how stable and locked in it feels in any conditions. I've just got back into snowboarding after a 5 year break and have never ridden anything else than cambered boards (tried some rocker/camber combos briefly). I'm worried that any Splitboard that I'll buy will feel like a wet noodle compared to the Custom X. I would like to have a really stiff board, and as I'm based in Norway and conditions vary I don't want a full rocker/fish kind of board. Weight is also important. Boards that I have looked into so far:

Jones Solution: worried about the quality here....
Venture Storm: too much taper?
Venture Odin: seems stiff
NS Prospector:

The Jones seems good shapewise, but as stated I'm worried about qualityissues and weight. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I won't be able to try any of the boards.

Post subject: Re: Another first splitboard thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:40 pm 

i would take a look at the venture zelix. dont by shy because its on the freestyle end of their spectrum, it will be plenty stiff enough if youre used to the custom x, and doesnt have the taper that the storm has. odin has more taper than the storm, so if you are concerned about the storms taper id steer clear of the odin. i have an odin split and can confirm that it is very stiff.

i have previously had a jones solution , and while i was happy with the ride and shape, the build quality wasnt of the same level as the ventures, or what you would find with NS.

havent ridden the prospector so i cant comment, but NS makes great decks.

have fun whatever you end up on

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:37 am 

Hi,

I've checked out the Zelix but it seems a bit soft.
Regarding the Odin, since I've never tried a board with that much taper, is it unstable at high speeds?

I'll be looking to ride waist deep powder, but to be honest conditions generally aren't that good in Norway. So I also want a board that can carve really well when the snowpack is hard. I like going fast, and have heard that rockered boards feels like riding a saucer at high speeds.

Regarding the buildquality of the Jones, as long as it doesn't fall apart I'm happy. Is it a subtle quality difference or is it annoying like stuff falling apart and/ or breaking?

Are there other boards that I should look into?

Oh, and where can you buy the Prospector?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 am 

tenzing79 wrote:
Hi,

I've checked out the Zelix but it seems a bit soft.
Regarding the Odin, since I've never tried a board with that much taper, is it unstable at high speeds?

Plenty stable at high speeds, that is where this board shines. Also a lot of fun in powder. Pretty stiff

tenzing79 wrote:
Oh, and where can you buy the Prospector?

http://www.backcountry.com/?avad=8157_b548f2ad type "prospector" in search.

The prospector will not be as stiff as the Odin. I would also check the Rossi XV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:14 am 

Prospector is definitely not as stiff as the Odin, but it is also plenty stiff. Plenty of big mountain chops with the Prospector. I did all of my spring big lines on the 161X last season.

The XV split is also a great board. Obviously good on steeps and big lines. Out of the three boards mentioned here, it is the lightest which made it great for touring. The base is also extruded, but that is not a bad thing at all. I hit rocks that would have absolutely been core shorts on any other board and there was barely a mark on the XV. I had to seriously look for it. The small loss in glide was not a big deal at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:04 pm 

Ok.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dangraham, you say you have had both the Solution and the Odin? Which one of the two is the most stable, stiffest, better on hardpack, better in powder, lightest?

I also wonder how the ride lengthwise? Does any of them feel short or long for their respective lengths?

I'm living in Norway and there's a big hassle to order from the states, does anyone know if the Prospector can be found in Europe?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 pm 

They have a list of their international dealers on their web page.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:17 pm 

I would give pretty much all of those categories to the Odin, I personally like the flat center profile of the venture boards more than the camrock, and find it to be more stable at speed, and better for skinning :twocents: . The Odin is also 20mm more setback, with more taper then the jones, which Help with the float. the exception is the weight, neither of those boards is light, as suggested I'd look at the xv or amplid if weight is a deal breaker to you.

I never had anything with the jones that stopped me from riding it, but both my solution and the hovercraft split i owned had different length skis by a couple mm. Not a deal breaker, but something I think should be better for the money you spend. and im a firm believer that how you do some things is a good indicator of how youll do other things. this is the 2011 solution and 2012 hovercraft and I probably only put 100 days on the solution and 25-30 on the hovercraft. Haven't checked with new owners as to how they've held up

Both the Odin and solution will ride shorter with their rocker profiles.

tenzing79 wrote:
Ok.

Dangraham, you say you have had both the Solution and the Odin? Which one of the two is the most stable, stiffest, better on hardpack, better in powder, lightest?

I also wonder how the ride lengthwise? Does any of them feel short or long for their respective lengths?

I'm living in Norway and there's a big hassle to order from the states, does anyone know if the Prospector can be found in Europe?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:22 pm 

tenzing79 wrote:
Ok.

I have a 164 odin splitboard and a 164 jones flagship solid board. Both are super stable and i like them both. the odin is definitely more powder specific and it seems to me, unlike Dan ^^^^, that it rides a little long for its length due to the taper and setback. (or maybe the flagship rides more shortly ;) ). It Can feel a little weird, like it has a mind of its own, going slow on low angle hardpack (like on an exit from the good stuff) but on steeps and at speed it rules. The ventures are impossible to destroy but not light. The solution, well, I'd take a look at the board before buying it.

I was in the shop today and fondled a rossi xv splitboard; that thing is pretty sweet; the shape seemed closer to the odin while the rocker profile seemed closer to the jones. Quality looked really good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:10 pm 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:
Both are super stable and i like them both. the odin is definitely more powder specific and it seems to me, unlike Dan ^^^^, that it rides a little long for its length due to the taper and setback. (or maybe the flagship rides more shortly ;) )

Nevermind, now that i think about it dan and i were saying the same thing. In deep pow the odin rides like a bigger board while not doing backfoot twitch turns like on a fish/khyber/hovercraft. I like that you can slam down on your front foot and accelerate really quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:14 am 

The Odin sounds pretty sweet.
The Helix seems to soft.

I've looked around and I can get the Odin (160 or 164) for USD $1,100. The Rossignol and the Solution retails for USD $950. I can get the carbon solution for USD $1,380. This puts me in a bit of a dilemma, since I prefer the Odin now, but don't know if I can justify the higher price.

I'm worried that the Rossignol will feel to big at 167 and pretty much a camber typ of profile. Has anyone tried it, and how does it compare to the other boards mentioned here.

Are there other boards I should look for?

Prior backcountry, AMF?
Burton?
Chimera?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:31 am 

The Odin is not what I would call a nimble board at slower speeds. That was the main short coming I found with it. As it's been said. It is a burly board no doubt and I enjoyed it.

The XV is well designed. I rode the 167 for around a dozen days. I really didn't want to send it back. The board is stiffer in the nose and softer in the tail. So it planes up on top of the snow fairly quickly. Not to say that the tail is soft, this is a board that Xavier rides. The camber is not overly pronounced and worked very well. My only wish is that I had a wide model. It was a little narrow for my foot size and preferred stance. Still, it worked just fine.

That board and the Prospector were my two favorites I rode last season. Fwiw.

All of these boards are well built. I guess the Rossi would be the only question, but the way that I abused it and that the shots it took were barely there, leads me to believe it will hold up great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 am 

Check out the Nomad from Donek, this is a board i've been drooling over for a long time. Wish i could say i've tried it. I believe you might be able to custimize the flex and maybe some other aspects with this company. Seems you really can't go wrong with all the suggestions above :thumbsup: .