Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Amplid LAB - We want to hear your Splitboard ideas!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm 

I have never heard more complaining about my board doesn't do this or that, I need this shape to do this.... you all are insane!!! the whole thought of a quiver of boards is a joke to me. Maybe its just that people like to waste money having ten different boards for every condition. Did anyone ever go to the car to change boards once the pow got choppy at the resort??????? NEVER NOT ONCE, you rode the board you had in EVERY condition.

fuck a quiver of boards. I think that just says you have to much money to spend.

amplid-, make one board that rocks in every type of terrain. a great starting point IN MY OPINION would be to check out Rossignols ONE magtek, this board has proven it rips in any terrain. Resort or otherwise,. Now if they would just split it I'd be happy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22 pm 

ohhh, ohhh Bottle opener incorporated into the board!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:43 am 

peacefrog wrote:
tle opener incorporated into the board!

A Carbon fiber / Titanium bottle opener and corkscrew combo integrated into climbing wires? I think Spark R&D is already working on that.

Lots of people for and against tapered tips. I think from our experience a moderate amount of reverse camber in the tips really helps to increase surface area, particularly closer to the rider's feet which brings a different feel to snowboarding and makes a board feel way more agile in tight situations. If all your riding is cruising in wide open bowls then I agree there's not really a need for reverse sidecut and you'd probably want the extra length so that you can put the pedal to the metal and have more stability fore and aft, but when the terrain gets more feature filled, it's more fun with tapered tips. That's my experience.

Camber... perhaps a mellow camber ~4mm, slightly set-back that extends beyond the inserts with a good helping of early rise, particularly in the nose?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:25 am 

Weight.
Is the epoxy/resin a large component of the weight of a board?
Use CNT(Carbon Nanotube-reinforced epoxy)
Full carbon laminate, no stringers. Less glass.

A system that links the board and skin together. Similar to what K2 has done recently, and what ski tourers have had for years.

Board Clips.
Clips are added to the board after pressing, so when I wax my board I don't have a completely smooth surface. Press with some sort of insert that can have an after press attachment for clips.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:20 am 

whistlermaverick wrote:
Board Clips.
Clips are added to the board after pressing, so when I wax my board I don't have a completely smooth surface. Press with some sort of insert that can have an after press attachment for clips.

Volkl cashew has already done this!

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:01 am 

Amplid wrote:
peacefrog wrote:
tle opener incorporated into the board!

A Carbon fiber / Titanium bottle opener and corkscrew combo integrated into climbing wires? I think Spark R&D is already working on that.

I thought spark bindings already were bottle openers, :guinness: you guys need to get creative with you tools..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 pm 

Late to the party on this one. Amplid already has such a perfect pow-all mountain board with The Creamer, why not just make an optimized split-board version. The only changes I would make would be a light construction (doesn't have to be big $ carbon) that has a similar flex pattern to a solid Creamer but with an all white or mostly white snow resistant top-sheet (black carbon topsheets collect too much snow). The Creamer's rocker profile with mild early rise to flat camber is a reasonable profile for efficient use of skins on firmer tracks.

Prior's use of the XTC build to make boards that ride the same as their regular weight splits and solid boards is a really good program. Amplid should focus on making reasonably light splitboards that ride like your solids.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:10 am 

Looking at the lab splits, the first thing that jumped out at me was the clips. Bolts with big ny-lock nuts sticking out of the top... Put in an insert with a screw in post and have a wire bail/latch hook onto it.
Other portions could probably be molded into the topsheet, or embedded in the layup.

I am amused at the thought of a thin p-tex topsheet. I think it would get shredded pretty quick. Typically it is high molecular weight polyethylene, which isn't too much different from grocery store plastic bags or milk jugs. A ski pole tip or binding crampon would make short work of it.

The better option might be a coating like NeverWet or Always Dry sprayed on. Another possibility is teflon coating like on cook ware, applied to the topsheet of the board and cured in the press at the same time as the board.

The slots in board like Rev then Forum and now Burton have, were on wakeboards in the early 1990's. I have a Connelly Fun Stick with them (it is going to be a powder surf board one of these days). I have seen a pic of an O'Brien board with it too. Worded properly, I am sure that patents issues could be avoided.

If the pucks had different slots on them, probably half of the inserts could go away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:49 am 

I would like all splitboards to come with two small holes in the front tips, so we can make a resque sled if needed. Without them, it's almost impossible.
I know you can drill this yourself, but in reality most people don't bother.

Furberg 167 Split with Afterburners
Furberg 162 Split with Magnetos
Prior 165 Backcountry XTC Split
Libtech Dark Series DIY Split with DIY binders

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 am 

MrCookie wrote:
I am amused at the thought of a thin p-tex topsheet. I think it would get shredded pretty quick. Typically it is high molecular weight polyethylene, which isn't too much different from grocery store plastic bags or milk jugs. A ski pole tip or binding crampon would make short work of it.

Chimera has been building this way going on four seasons ( i think) and their following (myself included) are pretty loyal. I haven't noticed any fragility to the topsheet at all. YMMV :twocents:
http://www.chimerasnowboards.com/nonsticktopsheet.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:52 am 

Snow+Rock shop at Covent Garden in London has the Amplid. It's CRAZY light! I am very impressed! When compared to one of the new Burtons in similar length it's like 2/3 the weight of the Burton. This lightness comes to a cost - too much flex for my liking. Build quality looks very good as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:18 pm 

WRT, P-Tex top sheets...

I stand corrected. My impressions mainly come from demoing a board about 15 years ago with a P-Tex topsheet, and I just have the lasting impression that it looked and felt like a foreign made very cheap board (graphics looked really washed out). That and the fact that HDPE's are typically somewhat brittle.

That however was a standard thickness (~1.2mm) top-sheet.

On an unrelated note, I personally would opt for a slightly tighter sidecut for the pacific northwest trees.
I did a Burton Cascade 168 for a long time with an 8.48m sidecut. Nose definitely hooks...
I also enjoyed riding an Option FreePlus 163 for a few years (no idea what the sidecut is there).