Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will she Float???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:03 am 

If your women rides a 156 cm splitboard or smaller length. Will she benefit from a longer powder specific splitboard such as a swallowtail or Prior Fissile for really deep pow-days?

Quote:
I don't want to sacrifice uphill ability for downhill playfulness.

Hence a longer board (greater surface and more board weight). Will a longer (160 cm or longer) powder specific splitboard offset the benefits for riding powder vs. extra weight in touring, uphill skiing and riding a heavier board for a woman (5'3" @ 130 pounds)?

My wife rides a 154 cm all mountain splitboard and resort is a 149 cm Malolo.

Post subject: Re: Will she Float???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 pm 

I wouldn't worry about it. Wait until she actually has an experience of not floating in deep blower. It is real easy to put a light woman on a longer board that is too stiff and sluggish with a flex intended for a 150lb-165lb person (95% of the boards out there), especially if she has a larger foot and needs a 25cm board waist. If she did get a longer deep day quiver board it needs lots of rocker and/or a real soft flex so it isn't a slug for her at moderate speeds/low angle slopes. Also with some notable exceptions, lots of girls fairly new to touring are more tired than the guys at the end of the day and need something easy to bushwhack and deal with exit trails on with jelly legs.

That said my wife (118lb) has enjoyed both a 170 and a real soft 172, (but real soft boards and postcard Utah pow), I have also seen her get abused by a stiff 158 in pow setting up quick under a late spring sun. Too stiff a flex can be worse than length and that's where it can get hard with women's boards especially if they need more than 24cm in width. Better to keep her on a short light board, carrying her water for the first part of the day can help too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:51 pm 

She's a Witch!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:01 pm 

I weigh 180# and can plane a 157cm in blower as long as I have the speed. When I was younger I weighed 150# and rode a 152cm in all conditions. My split is a 162cm and I probably tip 200# geared up. Again, must ride fast to maintain float in powder. I realize that doesn't answer your question directly but I think the answer has something to do w/ riding style.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:55 am 

At that weight I would consider 154-156 range boards for more float, she is also probably gonna need a 24 waist, so one loses some float with the width.
Note there are different kinds of float: in a straight line float is a function of board surface area and speed (planing). To stay floating through turns shape becomes a factor, and boards with gentle entry points (tapered tips and tails are best) and less sidecut have an advantage.
Then there is the ability to get up on plane from a stop, or at low speeds-this is where some tip rocker and taper help, allowing the nose to stay above the tail (ploughing) at lower speeds in pow, avoiding tip dive, and allowing the board to accelerate up to planing speed easily.
For the really deep stuff, storm pow deeper than 15" or so... she could even go longer, but one has to make sure the board is not too stiff. As long as she can flex the board fairly easily, a longer board can be pretty responsive (especially in pow), just beware for too stiff boards, which will be too much for her to handle.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 am 

^^^ Great answer, barrows delivers. It would be great to sticky gems of snowboard lore like this one so they don't get lost in the depths of the forum over time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 am 

Why do you need to go longer for float? One of the tapered, early rise nose or rockered powder shapes would allow her to ride a short board and get the float she wants. They are not the best at high speed but hey are super maneuverable in tight spots.